• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 - 90 ECM difference ??

raggedyann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
several yr ago my 87 ranger 5 speed manual , had the ECM go bad. I swapped out with one from an 87 Auto. Have been working since.

The other day I replaced another 87 model with one from a 90 model . no problem so far. runs fine

So question - some say they wont swap like this and since they did for me, explain differences.
EEC-IV

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Functionally there is little difference, unless you are in California, or it's nearby/neighboring states.

87 all had EGR, knock sensors, and were speed/density air metering systems.

In 88 the cats were upgraded, the EGR was deleted, and the knock sensor was deleted. These items would then be inert on an 86 or 87 that had a later computer installed.

The real rub comes if your new-to-you computer came out of a 1990, 2.9L truck with California emissions. Those were not speed/density. Those were MAF. That is where the problems come in. But only there. Otherwise it will work just fine.

BrianbroncoIIman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1990
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I had a problem with my 1988 eddie brauer the comper i put in ran the motor great but lost my 4 wheel drive control i was trying to figure out a o2 sensor related problem when i went and ordered a new computer for it installed it four wheel drive control worked again but didnt fix the main problem at the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrianbroncoIIman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1990
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
1988 seems to be a bastard year to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals