• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Unthought of Solution

freedom5

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Recently when my 2.9 wouldn't start I thought the fuel pump had failed. During trouble shooting I discovered the fuel pump relay (the original '87) was full of corrosion. I cleaned all of the contacts and replaced the relay and found that it also solved some other problems often posted on the forum, ie hesitation on rapid acceleration or bogging down. Now my 2.9 is running like new. I can only guess that there was enough voltage drop to the fuel pump because of the corrosion to keep it from providing enough fuel called for by the computer during these situations.

I constantly see posts of the situation described above but no mention of checking the FP Relay. Just wanted to pass this on. The relay is a cheap item and could be a simple solution.

Freedom5

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, Fuel Pump relay and socket can get corrosion as they get older.

Once engine RPMs are above 500 the computer closes that relay and it won't open again until key is shut off or RPMs are below 500(stall).
So fuel pump is always on when engine is running, computer doesn't have a pressure sensor.
But relay is held closed by the 13-14volts(alternator) passing thru it's coil, as you said if corrosion lowers voltage at the relay then relay could open and close at random times, i.e. lower RPMs because alternator voltage can drop a bit, so cause low pressure symptoms as you described.

ranger_redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L HOPING FOR A SWAP SOON
Transmission
Manual
so where is this relay located?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There are 3 relays near each other:
EEC Relay, powers computer(EEC), fuel injectors, fuel pump relay and spark system, Brown base
Fuel Pump relay, Green Base
WOT(wide open throttle) relay, Black base
Usually on passenger side wheel well

However when the added the engine compartment fuse box they were put under it

Around 1990-2 they are IN the fuse box

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals