• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

intermittently runs super rich

ford01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
two rangers and
Transmission
Manual
My ranger runs super rich intermittently, getting worse and more often, going down the road it starts bucking with loss of power and blows bug clouds of black smoke, then all the sudden it takes off and runs great but only for a few minutes. I did a koer test and nothing. Anyone have any suggestions? Please!!!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The Fuel Pressure Regulator(FPR) on the fuel rail has a vacuum line, remove this line and check if for gas or gas smell.
FPR diaphragm can leak and raw fuel will be sucked into intake via that vacuum line.

You may have a fuel injector sticking open.
Hard to pinpoint that issue.

OHM test on injectors should show between 11-16ohm, but that test is for a dead injector.
Sticking injector could be a broken spring, no test for that.

Also the fuel injectors get 12volts when key is on, the computer opens them by Grounding them
You should have Batch Fire injection, than means the computer only has 2 Ground wires for 6 injectors, so computer opens 3 injectors at the same time.
My wiring diagram shows a Light Green/White stripe wire as one Ground(injectors 1, 2, 4) and a Tan/Red stripe wire as the other Ground(3, 5, 6).
IF....Big IF, one of those wires was chaffed and was intermittently Grounding to engine, firewall, body, etc.........then 3 injectors would open at that time, flooding engine.

You can pull off an injector plug and test for a ground while moving wires around.

Next is the computer, pop the top and have a look inside.
Good info here on pins and circuit board: http://www.auto-diagnostics.info/ford_eec_iv

jchris36

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
My truck was doing something similar, my O2 sensor was bad and that fixed the problem, it's been running better than ever.

ford01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
two rangers and
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys, ill try that stuff this weekend

sjr53

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Also make sure that the orange wire that should be attached to the rear of the passenger side head is getting a good ground. That will give those exact symptoms.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals