• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 5 speed on auto tbird 2.3

Applegonebad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey trs. I'm doing my turbo ranger project finally. I have an 87 2.3 tbird engine on a stand in my garage.

My question : will my 95 ranger 5speed trans bolt up no issue? Are the output shaft splines the same? Can I use my stock flywheel? Right now there is still a flex plate on the tbird output shaft.

Bummer I couldn't find a 5spd tbird 2.3. The auto turbo is not capable of the same max boost the 5spd 87 2.3 turbo.

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
'87-'88 TC 5 speed & auto engines are exactly the same, the difference was that the auto ecu controlled the boost control solenoid (bcs) to not run as much boost as a 5 speed ecu as the auto trans weren't strong enough to handle the full ~190ish hp of the 5 speed cars. A manual boost controller can fix this very simply. Yes your trans will bolt up but you will need a heavy duty clutch that fits the m5od spline count.

Applegonebad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes your trans will bolt up but you will need a heavy duty clutch that fits the m5od spline count.
Thanks dude! M5od spline. I need a new clutch anyway.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I recommend the Centerforce stock replacement friction disc and the stage 2 pressure plate with the weights, I've been beating on mine for a while and it's been taking it great :)

For the boost you could try to find a ECM from a manual T bird

Applegonebad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I recommend the Centerforce stock replacement friction disc and the stage 2 pressure plate with the weights, I've been beating on mine for a while and it's been taking it great :)

For the boost you could try to find a ECM from a manual T bird
So why won't my stock clutch bolt up? Go through it with me here.

Cody L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Stock clutch fits but will be marginal behind a 2.3T. I run a Hays performance clutch in mine and it works great.

Applegonebad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Normally id just swap the turbo right to my 95 ranger but I want them forged Pistons in tbird block! And I don't think I have the oil return threads on my 95 block ?

Cody L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
They can be added. I debated doing this when deciding on running DIS. Ultimately I went with a distributor since I got a low mileage engine that I didn't want to tear into.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
the stock clutch works just fine, until it won't handle the power anymore, I ran a new stock clutch when I put my turbo engine in and it did not appreciate the extra power I was putting to it and just wore itself out much faster than normal. I then switched to the Centerforce I mentioned and it has lasted twice as long and taken 3 times the abuse

Applegonebad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Looks like I'll certainly need an aftermarket clutch then. For damn sure. I wish I could put the turbo on my 95 block but my accessory configuration is entirely different. Oh and I want forged piston block. Soooo...

Cody L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
You can put the forged pustons in the 95 block. The accessory drive should still be compatible. Plus you get the benefit of the updated design oil pump that removed the dummy dist plug.

Applegonebad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can put the forged pustons in the 95 block. The accessory drive should still be compatible. Plus you get the benefit of the updated design oil pump that removed the dummy dist plug.
Read an article that said my 95 block won't hold the accessory belt brackets correctly. My alternator is on the passenger side and it would be in the way of the turbo manifold. Right side where the alt meets to be moved to is a four bolt pattern for an Ac compressor. 95 block sucks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals