• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turbo 3.0 questions

Sdsmracer95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Ive searched and read about adding a turbo to a 3.0,
what i keep reading is that they arent worth adding a turbo to it (but they said the same thing when i added a turbo to my integra :p ).

I still wanna move forward with adding a turbo to the 3.0 since its so sluggish.
im considering a .63 ar t3/t4 turbo like the one i have on my integra at about 5-7 psi. remote mounted in between the frame and the bed of the truck.

what i want to know is where can i source some injectors for the setup. atleast 450ccs and is the fuel system on the ranger a return style or return less system?

im thinking of experimenting on using a piggy back tuner (i have a spare Apexi SAFC 2 laying around) and adding meth injection to control pinging. ive had really good success with that setup on the integra (i know its a completly different animal but im experimenting here) if that doesnt work what tuner can i use? ive been hearing about sniper tuning? how good is that for mapping out a good fuel map?

So if there's any info as to where i can find injectors in that neighborhood, especially if ones that'll plug n play with no modification that would be great. and the fuel system style is what i need to know. everything else i have a pretty good idea as to how to set that up.

btw this is my truck

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Anything can be done with money and fab skills. This should be interesting.

Sdsmracer95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Anything can be done with money and fab skills. This should be interesting.
yeah, not gonna go crazy with it too much though, found a site that sells a 2.5in Vband to T3 that will allow me to just get that welded on and bolt the turbo onto that. just fab up a small braket and the rest is just really long pipes and a oil scavenge pump.

with little imagination it shouldnt be too hard to do.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For just 5-7 PSI, I'd try and get some 24lb injectors from a 3.0FFV (as long as you aren't planning on using e85). Anything 01 and newer should have the correct connectors.

Your 04 should be returnless fuel system, but it's got a tiny MAF, so you'll probably want to upgrade to something larger.

For tuning, SCT is the best and most common for OBD2 Ford's. They have dealers nationwide that can write custom tunes.

Sdsmracer95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
For just 5-7 PSI, I'd try and get some 24lb injectors from a 3.0FFV (as long as you aren't planning on using e85). Anything 01 and newer should have the correct connectors.

Your 04 should be returnless fuel system, but it's got a tiny MAF, so you'll probably want to upgrade to something larger.

For tuning, SCT is the best and most common for OBD2 Ford's. They have dealers nationwide that can write custom tunes.

awesome thanks for the information.
what MAF can i use? off what car? or is it a custom thing that i have to hardwire?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your truck has the MAF integrated into the airbox lid, but older Rangers had a separate piece. I'd look for a MAF from a Ranger or Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC that isn't integrated into the airbox lid. 98-02 range for the Explorer, and 01-03 for the Ranger. It might even plug right into your harness, but I don't remember if they changed the connector or not when they switched to the newer integrated MAF.

IF that's too difficult to find, or make work, you could consider Mustang or Lightning parts, or aftermarket slot style MAFs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals