• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help me learn how to effectively use wiring diagrams?

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
I'm in the middle of the Explorer 5.0 swap, but I'm being hamstrung since I don't really understand how to effectively use the Ford wiring diagrams.

I have the old Ford service DVDs that you could get for a while, and I found the fix so it all works properly.

I've come to certain connectors that don't really list what the wires do, but they're listed by code & color.

I assume I should be able to look up those wires by the code/number given and find the relevant circuits they're in? I just can't figure out how to do that!

I'm slowly figuring out how to get around the program structure, but it's been mostly 3 steps forwards 1 step back, or more like "a-ha!" "Wait, where am I now?"

Attachments

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I think there is a search page, where you can look for a circuit number and find the pages it is on. There is for the on-line version, I have never used the DVDs, but I think they are basically the same. The more intended use of the page you posted is if you already know what the circuit is for and you are attempting to diagnose an electrical issue, it shows you where in the connector the wire sits. That is so if you have a continuity issue you can test both sides of the connector and see which side it is on.

The number is the circuit number, the letter code is the wire color.

These are books that are meant to be used to trained technicians, not Joe Blow from his back yard, so there is a certain amount of learning involved in understanding what is going on on the page. PTS is a very hard website to navigate, and it took me many years of practice to get to being sort of not bad at it. Those DVD shop manuals follow the same layout.

Last edited:

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
This is what the program looks like:

Is there somewhere that would break out the pins better? Many of the connectors have proper pinout maps, but not all of them. I'm not sure why but the diagrams for the same year Rangers are MUCH better than the Explorer diagrams.

Attachments

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ford was doing rolling updates to the shop manuals around the end of the 90s. They were being updated as the vehicles were updated. The Ranger got many more changes in 2001, getting the 4.0 SOHC and loosing the PVH system mid-year, than the Explorer, which was due for a total revamp in 02.

I don't see the search button, but circuit numbers are largely the same vehicle to vehicle. It's more about what is or isn't there.

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
Knowing that the circuit numbers are largely similar helps a lot. That leaves only 10 pins I need to figure out between the 2 platforms; 8, 10, 13, 23, 24, 26, 27, 28, 32, 38, 41.

The only "searches" I can find beyond whats shown are while viewing a diagram, I can toggle "show associated components", "show associated connectors", """ splices" """ grounds", and one I never really noticed before, "display page references".. which may actually be what I'm looking for.

Unfortunately I need to go make dinner, I'll have to come back to this later. Thanks for the help.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The page reference is probably going to give you an index listing of what pages that circuit shows up on, which is what you want.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals