• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New to the Ranger and new to the forum- need some experienced advice.

Dustin099

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
On top of everything you guys said, this guy is a scammer. He rolled back the odometer. I bought the Carfax (acctually I found a cheaper alternative to carfax, only $3.75 but the report was not nearly as detailed as Carfax- just title info) and the truck was registered last year with a reported mileage of 105,000. This guy is advertising 71,000.

Here is how he explained it on the phone after I called him back-

"Ahhh yeah man, we had the engine rebuilt..wait uh do you know anything about cars...ok well we had the engine rebuilt and I think the guy that did it rolled back the odometer, but we never asked him to." I asked if he had receipts documenting the rebuild and he said "well no it's my girlfriends car and she is bad about keeping that stuff man" so I said can you call the shop and get a new receipt to prove it, and he said "well here is the thing, after he worked on my girlfriends car, I let him work on my truck and he messed it all up, so when I called him about messing up my truck he got all offended and stopped returning my calls".

On to the next test drive.

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
damn dude that sucks been there too many times.

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Dustin, you did the smart thing. Especially before money changed hands.

In the mean time, I wish you the best finding your Ranger soul mate!

Clay Lorance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 V8
Transmission
Automatic
Dustin, you did the smart thing. Especially before money changed hands.

In the mean time, I wish you the best finding your Ranger soul mate!
It's like one of them said in an earlier post, once you drive a Ranger nothing else really fits you, I wish you the best of luck on finding you a good Ranger. Via Con Dios, Amigo.

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
It's like one of them said in an earlier post, once you drive a Ranger nothing else really fits you, I wish you the best of luck on finding you a good Ranger. Via Con Dios, Amigo.
It was I who said that.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
If anything, reaise the back, lower the front, you can use this to help with heavy loads, but get the right supension for this =P

Clay Lorance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 V8
Transmission
Automatic
Hopman i thought it was you that said that, but about the time i started typing that my mind wandered off, and you speak the truth my friend about "once you drive a Ranger everything else does'nt fit." I'm on my third Ranger and refuse to get rid of it come hell or high water.:icon_thumby:

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hopman i thought it was you that said that, but about the time i started typing that my mind wandered off, and you speak the truth my friend about "once you drive a Ranger everything else does'nt fit." I'm on my third Ranger and refuse to get rid of it come hell or high water.:icon_thumby:
Maybe Jim should use that as a tagline for the site.

My "Flying Eggplant" is the first Ranger I've owned. I bought it because I needed a vehicle in good shape, and this popped up. The more I drive it, the more it seems to fit and be an extension of my personality and the values I strive for.

It's reliable, durable, always there to help out a friend, and quirky. Just like me.

The day this truck dies will be a sad one. But rest assured, I WILL be looking for another Ranger!

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
The day this truck dies will be a sad one. But rest assured, I WILL be looking for another Ranger!
A Ranger never dies, it just takes a rest and allows you the chance to upgrade it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Hah, I'm on my first and I'm taking the same attitude.

I started with the Ranger, then I got a 78 Nova, then I got a 90 F-250.

Then I went back to the Ranger.

makindue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I would say they have about 40% of their tread on them.

And as to the clutch that's a good question- I don't how to put in terms of spongy or soft. My last car was a small Suzuki (2007) and with that car the clutch would catch when released about 50% this truck has a way different feel- the clutch would catch at about 80% released. When I first caught in it I put it reverse and let out the clutch and I wasn't moving didn't realize I had to let it so much more then my suzuki.
Why do you say that it was 40%?

98RedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
On top of everything you guys said, this guy is a scammer. He rolled back the odometer. I bought the Carfax (acctually I found a cheaper alternative to carfax, only $3.75 but the report was not nearly as detailed as Carfax- just title info) and the truck was registered last year with a reported mileage of 105,000. This guy is advertising 71,000.

Here is how he explained it on the phone after I called him back-

"Ahhh yeah man, we had the engine rebuilt..wait uh do you know anything about cars...ok well we had the engine rebuilt and I think the guy that did it rolled back the odometer, but we never asked him to." I asked if he had receipts documenting the rebuild and he said "well no it's my girlfriends car and she is bad about keeping that stuff man" so I said can you call the shop and get a new receipt to prove it, and he said "well here is the thing, after he worked on my girlfriends car, I let him work on my truck and he messed it all up, so when I called him about messing up my truck he got all offended and stopped returning my calls".

On to the next test drive.
Try the few links I posted up from ft myers craigslist.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals