• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2008 FX4 ABS problem

sunnyboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
After much searching on the internet including this forum, I am still stumped.

I have a 2008 Ranger FX4.

On a recent drive from Calgary back to Vancouver Island, the ABS light came on while driving down the last leg of the Coquihalla highway into Hope. (it's a long, steep downhill stretch). I was mostly just running in 5th gear (manual tranmission) but at one point a slow fool did a hasty lane change and I had to use the brakes. About 5 minutes later (no longer using the brakes) the ABS light came on.

Now at home, the light is still on. I understand that the brakes work, just that the ABS system is down.

My problem: I really don't know where to start diagnosing the problem. I have a couple of OBSDII scanners, and they show no codes at all for the truck.

I'm going to start with an inspection of the tone rings and the wiring to the front sensors as well as to the rear diff sensor, but my main question is: Where is the ABS control system in the 2008 ranger? All the stuff I've read is for much older Rangers, and simply does not apply to this newer truck.

Thanks.

-S

96firephoenix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I"m not sure the location of the ABS unit, but I do know htat you need an advanced reader to pull ABS codes. They are about $1000 for the harbor freight version, so a good one is going to run you about $3-5000. I had a dealer pull the ABS codes in a car once, and they charged $180 for it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, your scanners are probably not equipped for ABS. Some Actron units will do ABS and don't cost nearly $1000. You will need to get codes before you can do anything more than WAG at it.

FWIW the ABS module can be found by following the brake lines. Big box, all the lines go into it, has a big electric plug, probably somewhere right below the master cylinder.

sunnyboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well, the ABS problem is fixed. Turns out the hub went bad on a road trip end of May, and that took out the ABS sensor in the hub. The fix for bad hub bearings is the same as the fix for any ABS problem in the hub... that is, install a new hub.

Put in the new hub today and the ABS light went out immediately. All is well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals