• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2004 4.0 shut off while driving and wont start.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Jbird I apologize!

Because for the last 8 years I have been commuting 85 miles ONE way to work, I ride a motorcycle when its warm, and when its not its my truck. If you don't like a K&N air filter that's fine, I have been happy with mine.
I meant that post as a general post, not any accusation to you. Yes I think them filters cause more wear than the stock filters and I want everyone to know it. But if you are happy I guess that is all that matters.
Simply not thinking about your post, I apologize again.
Big Jim :wub:

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Checking the compression is good; but, an engine that just up and quits didn't do it because of low compression. Over heat it until it stops, yes. Break something inside, yes (along with the banging and clanking that goes along with that). But, it didn't suddenly wear out the rings and get compression too low to run. The durn things will run on 3 cylinders. Holes in pistons, valves burned with pie shaped pieces missing, etc. they will still run, not just stop.

It stopped because it lost electrics to make the sparklers go off at the right time, or fuel to burn or air to make it all happen.

Last edited:

JBird227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I meant that post as a general post, not any accusation to you. Yes I think them filters cause more wear than the stock filters and I want everyone to know it. But if you are happy I guess that is all that matters.
Simply not thinking about your post, I apologize again.
Big Jim :wub:
Sorry man, slightly stressed out....

Starting the compression test now

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Jbird leave the compression alone and find out what is really wrong with it. Like the post above said it will run with really low compression. Since it isn't running at all it is either fuel or spark!
Big Jim

JBird227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I did the compression test :bawling:
#1- 0 PSI
#2- 0 PSI
#3- 150 PSI
#4- 35 PSI
#5- 15 PSI
#6- 15 PSI

Not what I was hoping for.....

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Well, something big happened if the compression check it correct. It didn't just stop running.
Was there coolant in it?? My daughter told me her 4.0 just quit. It sure did. No coolant in it and there was water in the oil and oil in the radiator. It over heated and she drove it until it quit running.

Do a glove test!! If the head gaskets went, it should jump all over the place.

delaware74b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It looks like you had at least both timing chain tensioners fail. No compression both sides means both timing chains have jumped and $$$$. These engines will run fine and just quit like what happened to the OP's engine. At this point, it's probably cheaper to replace the long block than to rebuild. A lot of specialized tools and training is needed to rebuild one of these SOHC motors. You can rebuild, if you have the time and money. Pull the upper section of the front timing cover and look inside and you may find the guides have broken.

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
With no compression in two cylinders that must have cranked funny.

JBird227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I still haven't done anything with it yet, Im not going to rebuild it because of time. It was 35 this morning on the motorcycle and that just wasn't fun. I have called all the local junk yards and none have a engine except one. They said they have 5, and they all have skipped timing. So I might end up having to go with a rebuilt if one doesn't pop up soon. Just been doing a lot of googling trying to find the right price and stuff, not sure where I should buy.

JBird227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
With no compression in two cylinders that must have cranked funny.
Honestly it cranked like normal, not fast, no odd sound or anything. Thats why I wasn't expecting those readings, I was thinking it was something electrical

JBird227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I looked every where for a used engine, nobody has one. I ended up dropping $2500 for a rebuilt from powertrain. Seemed to be the best price and warrenty. I was quoted $1038 for labor to change it so I did it with the help of a friend.
eneded up being the timing chain tentioner failed. First couple pics are of my old engine, and the others are the new and what it should look like. I just put the first mile on the new engine, cant believe the difference. Thanks for the help, hopefully someone else can learn from this thread. This was the first engine I have changed, and I was amazed at how simple it was, as long as you have time to do it. I have a motorcycle that allowed me to get to work and stuff without having my truck. Its well worth the savings to do it yourself.
I couldn't get a picture of the plastic that was laying in the bottom of the engine, I never could have got it clean. I feel with the mileage it was the right choice. $2500 sure beats a new truck payment.

Attachments

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the update

And good work on getting the rebuilt engine in :icon_thumby:

While used engines are less money you could be buying someone else's problems

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals