• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2004 4.0 shut off while driving and wont start.

JBird227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2004 4.0 shut off while driving and wont start.---Updated pics of problem

2004 Ford Ranger 4.0 4x4 234,000 miles.
Truck shut off randomly on the way home from work, no noise or anything it just died while driving. Got it to the side of the road and it wont start, not even a sputter. Had it towed 2 miles home. Checked for codes, and it doesn't have any. When I turn the key over I do get my check engine light and all that. The fuel pump has been whining for a while, so I immediately figured it was that.
I checked the fuses under the hood and inside, all good. Swapped fuel pump relay.
Checked fuel pressure by depressing Schrader valve and didn't have any pressure. Replaced fuel pump, heard it prime, had some pressure but still didn't seem right.
Changed fuel filter, now when I press the Schrader valve fuel shoots out hard. Still will not start.
I read about the inertia switch on here, I checked it out and the plug was melted together, Installed a jumper wire, still wont start.
So I pulled a spark plug, it was wet with fuel, layed it on the manifold and turned it over and I have spark.
Now I don't know which direction to go.... I haven't had a single problem with this truck in 234,000 miles.
The only recent thing I have done was about a week ago I cleaned and re oiled my K&N filter. Drove fine for the week.

Any Ideas on what else I can check?

Last edited:

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Well, you need air, fuel and spark. If one of those is missing it ain't goina run. You have fuel since you say the plugs are wet (are they too wet?). So need to check out the rest.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
see if injectors are pulsing and not dumping fuel (do this with a noid light)

check compression

these are just some suggestions

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hold gas pedal down while cranking the starter motor, this turns off fuel injectors.
Gas pedal down with key on engine off tells computer to enter "Clear Flooded engine mode", so injectors are shut off but spark is still on.
As soon as you release gas pedal injectors start again.
If engine starts to fire with gas pedal down then you have a leaking injector causing engine to flood out.

Also pull off a vacuum line from the intake and try starting, could be the IAC Valve is not opening all the way causing to rich a fuel mix for cold engine.

The symptom of dying while driving does read like fuel pump failure.
And since you have fuel pressure after replacing the fuel pump that should have solved the problem.
You can try spraying some Starting Fluid(ether) into intake and then cranking engine, ether has a lower ignition temp than gasoline so will burn even if compression is low.
But compression test would be better, both banks, as the OHC setup can slip on one bank only causing a problem, but your symptom wouldn't point to that.

Last edited:

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Have you checked your oil? I know it may sound crazy...but I've flooded a couple engines so bad it filled the crankcase with gas and wouldn't start. I was working on it for a week and kept flooding it.

JBird227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Pulled a vacuum line, tried to crank with gas pedal down and didn't notice anything different. I did check the oil just from the dipstick, doesn't smell like fuel or look watery. I cleaned the IAC valve and did a resistance check on the coil pack, nothing bad.
I would think that if it was flooding out it would have started to run ruff or set off the check engine light? I never noticed any ruff running or sputtering.
But from what I found the noid lights are pretty cheap and wouldn't be that hard to put in to make sure, so I will go pick some of those up and see what happens. Also some starting fluid.
Thanks for the input.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well if there is gas on a spark plug the injectors are opening

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Is this 4.0 an over head cam? 234 K miles? :dunno:

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

delaware74b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yup - '04 4.0 is the SOHC just like wife's Explorer..........'01 to '10 use the same timing kits. The only difference is 4x2 or 4x4. The 4x4's have balance shaft, 4x2's don't.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Clean the MAF (with MAF cleaner). I don't know if it can cause a no start; but, there are more MAFs screwed up but K&N filters than any other way. They use oil to catch the stuff and oil will kill a MAF.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why anyone uses one of them damn stupid filters is a mystery to me. NASCAR runs their 358 cu in engines at 9,000 rpm for 500 miles and they do NOT use em! Saying the filter that came on your vehicle was restrictive is saying your manufacturer was an idiot! Spend the money on a pair of dice to hang from your mirror and you will be better off.
Big Jim

JBird227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why anyone uses one of them damn stupid filters is a mystery to me. NASCAR runs their 358 cu in engines at 9,000 rpm for 500 miles and they do NOT use em! Saying the filter that came on your vehicle was restrictive is saying your manufacturer was an idiot! Spend the money on a pair of dice to hang from your mirror and you will be better off.
Big Jim
Because for the last 8 years I have been commuting 85 miles ONE way to work, I ride a motorcycle when its warm, and when its not its my truck. If you don't like a K&N air filter that's fine, I have been happy with mine.

JBird227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
see if injectors are pulsing and not dumping fuel (do this with a noid light)

check compression

these are just some suggestions
I check the injectors today with the noid light. They worked like they should.
Going to start doing the compression check tomorrow, with work it might take a couple days. I will let you know what I find

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals