• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Eec wiring

ssny1088

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Have a 97 ranger w/2.3. It sat for several years and had many elect. issues due to dirty contacts, and may have another. Has ran fine for approx. 1 month but now it cuts out/stumbles and check engine light blinks(while stumbling) Does this cold,hot..etc. Radio,others stay on so not losing all power.Checked ignition switch box (seems fine) bypassed eec relay, still same. I tried this as I can turn on key, w/motor not running, and occasionally engine light flickers off, fuel relay and iac valve cycle. Seems to me eec is losing power/ground. It has 104 pin eec marked CSY2. Also swapped PCM diode w/ABS diode.Same. Anyway to direct wire EEC hot/ground to bypass possible wiring issues? Hate to start swapping parts, especially the EEC needlessly. Sorry so long, wanted to give all info.

ssny1088

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
update

Did several things since first post. Cleaned/checked some connections, cursed and kicked truck, nothing. Thought awhile and lifted power dist. box to get at underside. On the PCM module, jumped all three hot wires together (constant, ignition,power out) and ran wire direct from bat. to them. started and didn,t stumble as bad and engine light quit flickering. Did same w/fuel relay (leaving PCM JUMPS IN PLACE) No more stumble or light. So now the question is, do they have a common constant power from ignition switch box? I could of missed something. I hate tracking down elect. gremlins. Wish it would totally fail or even fry the bad wire. At this point wouldn't care!!!

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
You have 3 power wires spliced. Take one off. What happens? Repeat until troubles come back. Hopefully you can eliminate 2 out of 3. Yah I hate electrical gremlins. The last one let the smoke out with a dead short in the Rat. That was an easy one to fix. I have chased gremlins for yrs in my old BMWs. Having a good wiring diagram for your Exact Ranger would be a plus. IDK if it is Ford's policy to change electrics every yr, but it seems to. The 528e used the same wiring harness for 6 yrs. It was color coded to an extent too.

A total guess is the ignition switch.

ssny1088

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Finished(for now)

Truck ran fine today when I went and got gas. Wether because of something I did or the confused Ford/mitsubishi/Mazda tri-breed just decided to run???? It is/ was EEC/PCM losing power. 2 days ago it did it in morning and quit before I could grab voltmeter and never repeated throughout day. Yesterday, did it for a couple seconds and again never repeated.Has not done at all today so until it does, Ill consider it done. Not going to throw parts at it to find out it's a bad wire/connection.:headbang::beer:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals