• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V8 swap questions

Jrp79

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I have a 94 mazda b3000 5speed.I got a 88 f150 with a 302 5speed with intentions on swapping the 302 and m5od2 into the b3000.
Can I use the stock 302 oil pan or would I have to get a dual sump?
And would it be hard to swap the f150 efi into the b3000?
Also instead of buying swap plates I plan on making my own with 1/4 steel but would it be wise to keep the f150 mounts.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Good reads here on V8 conversions: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index-conversions.shtml

I think the reason the Explorer V8 was the better choice was because of the intake and other bolt-ons for the 302(5.0l).
Explorer engine bay is closer in size to Ranger, F150 is larger so bolt-ons can stick out farther.
I would do some measuring to see if a body lift is needed.

There were several versions of "stock" 302 oil pans :) , front sump, dual sump and rear sump
Rear sump will usually fit 2WD, not sure what your '88 will have

manual trans EEC-IV computer('88) would work fine in Ranger that had EEC-IV computer, in 1995 Rangers got newer EEC-V computers

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The dual inlet F-150 intake system is too tall to practically fit in a RBV.

The Explorer is a nice setup if you want, basically a cast aluminum Cobra intake. But if you are on the cheap a standard intake or an HO off a Mustang would work too.

If you find an Explorer to rob the intake off of the timing cover, harmonic balancer and accessory brackets/accessories are the most compact ones Ford made. If you go that route I can get you a link about how to make it work in a first gen.

I have a dual sump off like a Mustang. By stock I would assume you are refering the F-150 pan... most guys run the dual sump. Not out much if you have a slow day and want to try it though. In my case I think a front sump would have fit the best... but wouldn't work with the Explorer belt system.

That said I have done no EFI wiring.

I would just use the V6 mounts. I know 2.8/2.9/4.0 mounts work well I would assume the 3.0 mounts would be similar. I am going to swap back to that style of mount sometime when I get a chance, I am not happy with the Mustang mounts.

And the biggest thing to remember about this is every swap is different. What works for someone else may or may not work for you.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals