• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel trouble, need help.

mccrob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1998 3.0 ,fuel pump is good, pressure at the rail but plugs are dry when I pull them. Started right up after sitting all winter, turned it off, hasn't started since.I have two 3.0's for parts, so I have tried different relays, different fuel pump, still nothing. my next guess is clogged injectors, but all of them at the same time seems unlikely. Any ideas????????????????????

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I'm thinking inertia switch again...but...that shuts down the pump and not the injectors...so something with IAC or whatever controls the injectors...not necessarily plugged...just not allowing fuel...

The inertia switch is up under the dash by the passenger side foot well...close to the hump on earlier models but may be near the kick panel by the door...that's where my 96 is hidden...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
'98 should have 65psi of pressure at the rail.
Ford has the fuel pump start when key is turned on, you can hear it, but it only stays on for 2 seconds, so turn the key off then on a few times to confirm you hear the pump.

Is anti-theft light acting normal?
PATS system turns off fuel pump and fuel injectors if wrong key or bad key is used.

Unplug the TPS(throttle position sensor) and try to start.
If TPS has shorted wire or for some reason is "sending" the Computer 5 volts(wide open throttle) the computer will shut off fuel injectors while cranking, this is called "Clear Flooded Engine Mode".

Do you have spark?
i.e. have you tried adding fuel to the intake manually and then cranking engine, if it starts and dies then fuel is the problem, not spark and fuel.

If you don't have spark or fuel then CKP(crank position) sensor is not connected or not reading the tone wheel behind the crank pulley.

A Noid light can be used to see if computer is opening injectors, light will flash each time computer Grounds the injector

Last edited:

mccrob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Big ole thanks !

Thanks for the advice, I will get a chance tomorrow to check things more, will let you know how it goes. I know it has got to be something simple ,I have a 1998 with good working fuel system but hope to not swap the whole thing out.

mccrob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got it, you guys are awesome.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Do tell??

What was the problem and the fix?

mccrob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work :icon_thumby:

Thanks for posting the fix

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals