• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1992 Ranger V6 3 Liter help with wiring from battery

Portia379

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
How do I connect main negative wires (grounds)and positives properly. Where should each go to from the battery?

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The main positive should go to the lug on the starter solenoid. There should be a couple of other wires connected to the same point, that power the rest of the truck.

The main negative should go to the frame; on my 88 it screws to the passenger's side frame rail a couple feet back from the front end. (The 88 and 92 have the same frame, but I don't know if it attached in the same place.) Before installing it, make sure that spot is clean, bare, shiny metal. You may want to sand or grind or take a wire brush to it, and then put a little "dielectric grease" (bulb grease or spark plug grease) on the frame, the mounting lug, and the screw.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Dielectric grease is the wrong thing to use there, unless you make the connection and then coat it externally, but I would rather use paint in that situation.

Bulb grease (electric grease) and plug grease (dielectric) are not the same thing. Dielectric is very thick and pasty, almost like RTV, and is only for high-voltage, high-tension applications like plug wires. Electric grease on the other hand, the stuff you use for light bulbs and other low voltage connections is pretty runny, kinda like Colgate gel.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals