• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 Ranger plastic brake fluid reservoir

HGI

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2nd gen
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I smashed the plastic reservoir during the mortar swap, tried to silicon it up as I figured it would be a nightmare to find a replacement but it still leaks. To my surprise the auto shop (lordco) has replacements but I had to buy the plastic reservoir and metal master cylinder together as a whole($40).

Anyways I tried pulling the new plastic reservoir off of the metal master cylinder as it's the only part I need and wasn't able to pull it off. Maybe I'm being to much of a wimp in fear of busting it and didn't really want to use a screw driver to pry it off in fear of screwing up the rubber seals between the two or the reservoir itself.

I'm just wondering should it simply just pull off? Should I be using a screw driver to pop it off? Or am I going to have to replace the whole unit and bleedimg everything?

I'm hoping I can just replace swap the plastic reservoir so I can avoid the extra time, effort and mess of bleeding everything.

Thanks, I've never had to deal with anything like this so I don't have any experience with this unit.

Last edited:

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You just need to replace the whole master using the new part.

Removing the old tank will let air into the system. Even if you try really hard not to.

Having good brakes is nothing to joke around with. With 2 people it only takes about 30 min to fully bleed the system anyways.

HGI

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2nd gen
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Mazda,

Once my roommate got home I proceeded to just change the whole unit and like you said it only took roughly 30 min. I'm also glad I did this as I spotted an issue with a very loose nut on the steering rod.

So the issue was resolved, I managed to fix 3 things on my truck today, the list of "things to do" is getting smaller.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals