• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mazda b4000 Park issues

Rbas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Hello everyone I am a new member here but have lingered for info for quite some time now. My truck is a 97 Mazda b4000 se with the 5 speed auto trans. It is having major problems going into Park. I already had this problem. When I bought the truck due to the usual broken cast clip that holds the shift tube down. I fixed that and have drove it for about another 6 months and it is doing it again. I pulled the column apart and the clips are tight and everything is tight shifter wise. I checked the torqs head bolts that hold the shift bracket to the tube and those are all fine. My shifter cable did have a guiding bracket in the wheel well broken but I fastened the cable and am sure that is not the cause of my problem. What happens is I push the gear selector up to the park position and let off the brake. The truck comes out of reverse but rolls, and when it rolls I can hear the park gear going click click click click click like it is not fully engaging and popping out. I then repeatedly jarred the gear shifter upwards and park grabbed but when I do this it will not let me take the key out of the ignition. Before jarring the gear shifter I could go under the truck and make the gear lever on the trans go into Park fully. If I jar the gear shifter up I cannot move the gear lever assuming it is all the way in park in that scenario. I am stumped at what is causing this, it started last night just out of nowhere. In the jarred or Un jarred scenario it will not let me start the truck in park. HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If the shifter cable and linkage under the dash are tight then it could be in the shift linkage at the transmission, before going under run your hand along the shift cable where it comes out of the firewall, feel for breaks in the sheath, not uncommon for sheath to split and slide into itself which in effect shortens the cables range of motion.

Once under the vehicle feel the rest of the shift cable.

On the trans there is the NSS(neutral safety switch) just above shift shaft, it is a plastic push button switch that rides on a cam inside the trans, these can wear out and plastic button sticks making it harder to shift in and out of Park.

There is a shift cable adjuster, this how-to is from MrMickey64:
As you look at the shift cable from underneath, you will see where the end "snaps" onto a ball stud. From there it continues towards the front of vehicle and goes through a metal support.

If you look at the assembly in that area, you will notice a piece that is white in color, while the rest is black. That white piece is your lock tab.
Prying the edge with a screwdriver will allow it to slip out enough for you to make the necessary adjustment.

And because of the past issues your shift cable may have been stretched and needs to be replaced.

Rbas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Alright so I took a look at the cable near the transmission and where it goes through the metal bracket it is really beat up. Looks like the previous owner tied it there with bailing wire lol. So now my question is what cable do I need to buy? My local auto parts store can't get one so I am going to have to order one online. I searched for a Mazda b4000 se shifter cable and pretty much nothing came up. Are the cables the same between the 4 speed auto and 5 speed? Then I could just order a 97 ranger 4.0 cable?

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Howdy Rbas
What I do when I have a hard part to find is I get on eBay and find guys selling OTHER parts for a similar vehicle. I then ask them a question about the part I am looking for.
I COPY this question before sending it. Then I go looking for other guys and PASTE my question to them. Usually I wind up sending 10 or more of these out in an evening and I have NEVER failed to get the part I needed.
I hope this helps.
Big Jim

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Give these guys a call. They are pretty much the go to folks for hard to find Mazda parts (however, I don't think a shift cable would be hard to find for a dealer). Your local Mazda dealer can usually get just about anything in 24 hours. The ranger part might/could/probably will fit, as far as I know mechanically they are identical, check your local yard.

http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/productSearch.aspx?&ukey_make=995&ukey_model=20164&modelYear=1997&ukey_category=20291&ukey_driveline=0&ukey_trimlevel=0&ukey_modelRange=0&isOnSale=0&searchTerm=

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals