• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 b3000 starts....with brake cleaner!

bizarro302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
it's not rocket appliances
My 94 b3000 has been sitting for about 6 weeks. Was my daily driver all winter ran like clockwork. All of a sudden she won't start. Sounded like the fuel pump was engaging, but I'm not positive on that. I don't have a multimeter where it's parked to confirm.

On a whim I decided to spray brake cleaner into the throttle body while my dad cranked it, and it would run till I stopped spraying. Obviously I have some sort of fuel delivery issue.

My dad used to be a ford salesman and he mentioned that the Taurus were prone to some distributor issue that caused this, but couldn't remember what it was. Being that it's a Taurus motor with a 5 speed I'm thinking he could be right. Anyone know what he's talking about or have any ideas?

Aside from filling my washer fluid reservoir with brake cleaner and running it to the tb.......cause it's already filled with whiskey and run to the steering column man:icon_hornsup:

Lone-Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You may hear a clicking noise from the fuel pump relay under the hood when you turn on the key, but most likely your fuel pump has given up. Seems to me if you were having distributor issues, it wouldn't matter at all if you sprayed it while cranking.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1994 3.0l Ranger was the last year of the distributor with TFI ignition, I assume it is the same for B3000.

The distributor has a sensor inside that tells the TFI module when to spark the coil, this is called the PIP signal, the TFI module passes this signal to the computer so it knows when to open injectors and also engine RPM.
I assume that is what dad was referring to, PIP signal not getting to computer, PIP signal is working or you wouldn't have spark, but it is possible it isn't making it to the computer and if that is the case the computer doesn't even "know" you are cranking the engine.
Long shot though.

Check engine fuse box, there will be a 30amp fuse labelled FP(fuel pump).

There should also be an FP Relay and WOT relay in there, swap them around.
Fuel pump relay can fail so no fuel, WOT(wide open throttle ) relay is the same part and it is only there to turn off AC when your foot is to the floor.

On the fuel rail there is a schrader valve, looks like a tire's air valve, and works the same way.
It may have a cap on it, just like an air valve.
Stand off to the side and press down on the center pin of the valve, like letting air out of a tire, there should be 30psi of pressure in there so it can squirt 20-30ft.
If there is no pressure then fuel pump is probable issue.

But first look on the fuel rail for the fuel pressure regulator(FPR), it will have the Fuel Return hose and a vacuum line.
Remove the fuel return hose, put a towel under FPR just in case, turn on the key, turn off key, turn on key.
Check if any fuel is leaking out of FPR opening.
If not pump is not coming on.

Ford fuel pumps are not quiet, you can hear them hummm very plainly when key is first turned on, but as said above they are only on for 2 seconds, so turn key off then on again, repeat until you are sure you can't hear it.

Oh, also make sure the CEL(check engine light) is coming on with the key, that means the computer has power, if computer is not powering up then no fuel, but you would still have spark.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'98
'94
'98
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
2.5, 2.3 & 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Trying to be a better Christian than non-christians.
If you have fuel pressure, then put a noid light on the injectors to see whether they are delivering fuel. If the noid lights fail to illuminate then suspect the CPS (crankshaft position sensor). The CPS fail on my 1994 is how I got my online name.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you have fuel pressure, then put a noid light on the injectors to see whether they are delivering fuel. If the noid lights fail to illuminate then suspect the CPS (crankshaft position sensor). The CPS fail on my 1994 is how I got my online name.
Noid light is a good idea, but the '94 3.0l won't have a crank shaft position sensor, it was the last year of the distributor for that engine.

Engines didn't get CKP(crank shaft position) sensors, and on some CPS(cam shaft position sensors), until they went distributorless.
4.0l was always distributorless, 1990 and up
2.3l lost distributor in 1989
3.0l lost distributor in 1995

DCinDC

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
push the fuel safety interlock accident switch first.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
push the fuel safety interlock accident switch first.
Yes! Always check the Inertia switch first, I keep forgetting that. It's easy to trip, and easy to check and reset.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals