• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

300 Electric Gremlins

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not a ranger this time but...1990 4X4 Ford F150 with 300 I6 w/ 5 speed. Starts from time to time, usually when it is dry outside. When wet out it won't start usually. Turn the key on and U can hear the fuel pump run then shut off = it will start. Turn the key on, hear the fuel pump running continuous = truck will crank but not start. It has dual tanks too. My mechanic is pulling his hair out tracing it down. Any suggestions???

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So Fuel injected and TFI distributor I assume?

Ford Computers(EEC-IV) should only run the fuel pump(s) for 2 seconds when key is turned on, fuel pump will not start again until engine RPMs are above 400.

So the fuel pump coming on and the NOT going off could be a computer issue or a Fuel pump relay issue.
Fuel pump relay should be on the inner fender maybe under fuse box, and it will have a Green Base.
The relay gets 12volts when key is turned on but has no Ground, the computer controls the Ground, so that Ground wire to the computer could short to Ground cause pump to run, or computer circuit is bad

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks I will relay that to them and see what happens.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals