• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

For Mustang transmissions made in China??

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
They started buying them up in '79, but didn't get a controlling interest until '96.

Design time is what counts, and that happened more than a couple years before they where bought out.
Oh yeah.

WELL I HAVE ICE CREAM!!!

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I thought Ford had started buying up Mazda much earlier than 96. They had been working on a number of projects together by that point.

Also, that still leaves a great deal of that transmission's production run falling in the time frame when Ford did own Mazda.
They've never actually owned them outright (I always thought they did). According to the Wikipedia their relationship is as follows:

Starting in 1979 with a 7-percent financial stake, Ford began a partnership with Mazda.....

During the 1980s, Ford gained another 20-percent financial stake......

Further financial difficulties at Mazda during the 1990s...... caused Ford to increase its stake to a 33.4-percent controlling interest in May 1996.........

On November 18, 2008, Ford announced that it would be selling a 20% stake in Mazda, bringing its stake to 13.4%, and surrendering control of the company

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
They've never actually owned them outright (I always thought they did). According to the Wikipedia their relationship is as follows:
Ford has done this for years, buy another company, usually one perceived as high quality, learn how they do things, test-bed some new technology there before putting it in the Fords, and then sell them off when finished. They have been more aggressive with it lately, and never owned anything as long as they've had their stake in Mazda.

Heck, a lot of the fancier options that my mom's 2001 Volvo CX70 had, I'm starting to see them in new Fords. Only difference is that the stuff on the Ford's works better.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Ford has done this for years, buy another company, usually one perceived as high quality, learn how they do things, test-bed some new technology there before putting it in the Fords, and then sell them off when finished. They have been more aggressive with it lately, and never owned anything as long as they've had their stake in Mazda.

Heck, a lot of the fancier options that my mom's 2001 Volvo CX70 had, I'm starting to see them in new Fords. Only difference is that the stuff on the Ford's works better.
What did they gain from owning Land Rover? (Serious question) I've noticed they gained a lot from Volvo, but wondered about Land Rover.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

I think they also used Mazda as a ginni pig for awhile too. "Lets try it out on the company that doesn't mean anything to us and see how it works out"..."ok that worked well, a little more work and it is good enough for us"

What did they gain from owning Land Rover? (Serious question) I've noticed they gained a lot from Volvo, but wondered about Land Rover.
A financial drain. :icon_idea:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
and most of the Mustang transmissions from about 1980 on and most of the F-150 trannies in the 90s were Tremecs, which strongly resemble certain BW transmissions.
Bro.
a t-5 is a borg warner unit so is a t56. if you said later mustangs used tremecs, that would make more sense because tremec started producing the bw transmissions in around 1998 or 1999. tremec pretty much just produces the transmission that bw designed and built.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
....ps, most of those tremecs were made in mexico anyway. either way, not made in america. :badidea:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And going back to the mid '60's, the six cylinder Mustangs were using the Dagenham 4-speed produced in England, in early 70's they were using the Getrag from Germany, the ZF heavy duty trans used in the "F" series was also made in Germany. All the 4.6's came from the Essex plant in Canada. It's really getting to be a global suppliers market out there.
Dave of the Nord

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
One of reasons why things from China are cheaper is the unfair tax breaks and incentives that Chinese companies get that companies in the U.S.A do not get. I saw on the news the other day that it is cheaper to ship a bale of hay to China then it is to ship one across the country to Texas....

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
One of reasons why things from China are cheaper is the unfair tax breaks and incentives that Chinese companies get that companies in the U.S.A do not get. I saw on the news the other day that it is cheaper to ship a bale of hay to China then it is to ship one across the country to Texas....
That has something to do with EMPTY ships that are going to china (for another load of chinese goods) anyway...

Once upon a time it was financially practical to ship dirty laundry to China to have it washed rather than wash it in San Francisco.

AD

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That has something to do with EMPTY ships that are going to china (for another load of chinese goods) anyway...

Once upon a time it was financially practical to ship dirty laundry to China to have it washed rather than wash it in San Francisco.

AD
lol, im adding that one to my signature

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
And going back to the mid '60's, the six cylinder Mustangs were using the Dagenham 4-speed produced in England, in early 70's they were using the Getrag from Germany, the ZF heavy duty trans used in the "F" series was also made in Germany. All the 4.6's came from the Essex plant in Canada. It's really getting to be a global suppliers market out there.
Dave of the Nord
The 4.2, not the 4.6.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
a t-5 is a borg warner unit so is a t56. if you said later mustangs used tremecs, that would make more sense because tremec started producing the bw transmissions in around 1998 or 1999. tremec pretty much just produces the transmission that bw designed and built.
That's how a lot of parts are. A lot of Ford's electronics are Bosch built to Ford specs.

I remember when I first hopped under the S-10 to put a clutch in it and took my first look at the trans. I was all "holy crap, that's a T-5. This isn't going to be fun getting it in and out."

And I was right.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 4.2, not the 4.6.
The Essex plant is in Windsor Onterio, so that could cause some confusion (although I think all the Mustang 4.6's were Romeo's) The new "Coyote" 5.0 is built in the Essex plant though.

Not really much of an import at any rate, if somebody with a ruler laid out the border they would be well with the US, just across the river to the east of Detroit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals