• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Performance 2.9

you there

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Open to consideration
Transmission
Automatic
...snip.... Upgrading to an 88+ computer however can offer minor gains, but will delete the EGR system in the software.
I find this interesting. When I was diagnosing my '88 as to why it wouldn't idle (long story) I used an '87 ecm out of my 5.0 project truck. Apparently between '87 and '88 some circuits changed as the '87 computer would not even "trip" the fuel pumps.....at all. I know the ecm is good as it was used to drive the 5.0 project truck to it's current work station.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Apparently between '87 and '88 some circuits changed as the '87 computer would not even "trip" the fuel pumps.
Well that's wrong.

I had an 88 parts truck that I moved around with a 87 computer after I took it's computer to see if the 87 computer was the cause of an intermittent no start.

The check engine light was on and flashing, but it ran just fine.

you there

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Open to consideration
Transmission
Automatic
Odd. Can you think of any reason as to why my '87 ecm wouldn't kick the pumps?

Edit: The two '88 ecms worked just fine in the truck.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Loose connection maybe. But I know from experience that you can mix and match 2.9 computers all day long and as long as you don't cross the MAF and Speed/Density parts it should run.

Road Angels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
since your car or truck needs to pre 75 or older they got you by the nads, any mod you do thats going to give you what you want in power will not meet the standards, there are still a few counties that are exempt, preston, I think is one but you can google it and find out witch are, if you know some one in one of these areas use there address for your registration, also for some mods you can add a pre cat at the head pipes that will really clean up your pipe emmisions, I did it on me 86 witch brought it up to the current year standard, ref was scatching his head on that one

dpelland

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My Mods

Just starting to think about rebuilding my 2.9 I bought the truck brand new in 1986 will answer some of the changes I have notice with your list
advanced timing 12 degrees BTDC instead of stock 10 this seemed to give a bit more power when I was pulling a trailer.
port and polish intake, as well as match, i have done a bit in the intake just to smooth out the casting a bit It seemed to smooth out at highere RPM
upgraded coils/ignition (msd) I have done the accel super coil, but dodnt do the TPI module it is junk burnt out 2 of them I might do it again when I do the engine rebuild and reloate it with a larger heatsink and fan,( it does help in starting and makes the truck run a bit more smoother)
headers (seems to be hard to put a nail right on brand for 2wd and 4x4) I have the pace setter weld them together type notice more low end and quicker rpm ramp up.
turbo (again, no specific P/N or example) Never would do it
supercharger (see turbo) never would do it motor not strong enough
larger throttle body (86mm I think is biggest, don't quote me on it) done no notice in power increase
egr delete (seems to be on the fence, depending on person) Headers added blocked it off.
disassembling and cleaning (thinking that would return performance to orginal?) Rebuild will let you know
2.8 pistons (seems pretty viable to me, something I would really like to look more into, eureka24 posted some good stuff in the 2.9l tech page)
stroker kit (don't know much.. anyone shed some light?) I wouldnt do this puts up the compression to hight and premium gas is exspensive( I think I will just bore it out to the max for more cubic inches more power.
cams (seen somestuff from camcraft, anyone have some examples?) I have one just there I guess rv one a little loppy and made a little power and rpm gain.
K&N replacement (individual opinion I suppose)Cleaned up my air box put in K&N more exsaust flow thats for sure
engine driven fan replacement with electric (also seems like a good one) Flexfite 40 electric helps keep the engine kool( dont want to overheat those heads) also helped my power when loaded down.
I also have removed the collector and custom 2 1/2 pipe removed the cat shhhh turbo muffler, other nothing eles to the engine beside tuneups and good plugs.
My engine rebuild is going to happen next year rocker shaft mod and rockers from cam craft might get a better grind cam also, new heads and over size piston which of course means new injectors.
And of course you all ask why well like I said bought it new very cheap for insurance and everything has been done except the engine.

Strieg

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I dunno, I'd just like to keep the 2.9. Thinking about buying a spare block and just building it. Doing everything possible lol.
The ranger isn't my daily anymore so I could have some fun with it... I think, as has been discussed multiple times, the heads may be the weak spot. Does anyone know if there are any new fixes to this? I know world heads.. But I believe their out of business.. For a long time now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strieg

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Is there a tuning solution maybe? Do a bunch of mods, and then mess with software to take advantage of hardware?

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
As far as fixes to the design of the heads (other than the ford redesigned heads) Not really. World Products was the big head upgrade a while ago but finding a set of USED WP heads is nearly imposible, It took me almost 2 years to find a good used set. World products didnt go out of bussiness (there a Major aftermarket company) they just discontinued the 2.9 head. BUT theres another aftermarket 2.9 head being made by a rather well known name here (and everywhere) and he has some of the the best aftermarket parts for the 2.9... Tom Morana racing... Heads, porting n pollishing, roller rockers, strocker kits, intake manifold, roller cam, GOOD STUFF MAN! heres a link to a thread i opened, there a link to Tom Morana's web site there.
www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150869

Last edited:

Strieg

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sweet thank you!

WhiteLX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I've done a few things to my 2.9L. Its a little better than stock, but still painfully slow especially uphill. The original heads cracked and put a hole in an exhaust valve, so my machine shop found a set of new aftermarket castings. Not the world products, but they seem better than stock. I opened up the lower intake to match the intake gaskets, which the heads already matched as cast. I ground down the injector humps in the intake and matched the upper and lower to the gasket. I am also running the larger 1986 throttle body and a K&N panel filter. I also performed the free floating rocker conversion and advanced the timing to 12 degrees.

I have a set of JBA headers, but have not installed them yet as I do not have a matching Y-pipe. I'll have to get one made. I am still running though the stock catalytic converter since I am in California as well. I have a 2.25" exhaust to a Borla muffler dumped before the axle.

I did try an electric fan from a supercoupe, but even with the 130amp alternator, as soon as the fan would kick on the engine would die from the increased load. I put the stock fan back on and didn't really notice much of a difference in performance. I was hoping to gain a little power and fuel economy, but having to drive with 2 feet and in constant fear of it dying and having to restart every few minutes, it had to go. I only kept it on for a day. I have a 180 thermostat and the engine always runs cool. I may revisit the electric fan later with a fan that draws less amps (OEM fans have crazy amp draw on start up, even with my Flex-a-lite thermostat starting at 60% power). As long as the truck was moving the fan never kicked on as the airflow was enough to keep the engine cool.

Probably the biggest improvement would be swapping from the A4LD to a manual trans, but since I have to deal with heavy traffic on a daily basis I'd rather keep the automatic. I'll be installing a shift kit and Sonax improvements soon. It also has 4.10 rear gears, which really helps off the line. Tires are ~26" tall, 225/55R16

Last edited:

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
Sweet thank you!

No problem, Theres another guy somewhere in Europe that has some nice performance parts, but of course I cant find him anywhere, Ill keep looking and post if I can find him. But he makes a few different intakes systems for the 2.9... both carbed and fuel injected... carbed tunnel ram, injected ram air, side draft carbs, everything from the air filter/s to the heads and cam, nice billet cnc stuff.
where are you at in the central valley? anywhere near hollister or you south more?

Strieg

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm in bakersfield.. Where it's 100-110 in the summer, hence my other thread about water/meth...

Yeah that tom morana has decent stuff... Think I may have to rebuild my engine this winter! [emoji106]

Strieg

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
And I want to find some JBA pipes with an H pipe... But I need to finish off my other project car first... Free up some funds

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
Ya It would be nice to have some room under my Ranger to run an h-pipe. IMHO JBA headers are the best quality headers for the 2.9. * There welds, bends, coatings, and matierials are supierier to most other brand name headers for the 2.9. The first set of headers i baught were the pacemaker's. I got my JBA's less than a year later.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals