• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Easiest/cheapest swap?

guardian13

Reaction score
My tired old 2.9 has seen better days. It was burning a little oil so I replaced the gasket set. Now its still leaking and is getting some nasty blow by. Instead of fixing this engine, I'm considering swapping to something a little bigger.

My question is, what engine swap will be easiest? Is there a swap that will wine up with the FM145 trans? How hard would it be to swap a SBC and T10?

guardian13

Reaction score
Is the casting for a 2005 mustang 4.0 the same as the explorer? Just a thought. I think my friend is getting rid of his 4.0

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the 4.0 sohc ( mustang 4.0) has the same bolt holes as a ohv 4.0, theres i believe 2 more bolts but itll bolt up fine without them. the later year sohc 4.0s in mustangs, rangers, and explorers is the same. youll probably have a problem with pats, but you can get the sohc 4.0 to run off of a ohv 4.0 computer without problems. lots of info on this out there.

guardian13

Reaction score
Sounds good. If he gets rid of his SOHC 4.0, I may try to run that with a 5speed.

WhiteLX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
the 4.0 sohc ( mustang 4.0) has the same bolt holes as a ohv 4.0, theres i believe 2 more bolts but itll bolt up fine without them. the later year sohc 4.0s in mustangs, rangers, and explorers is the same. youll probably have a problem with pats, but you can get the sohc 4.0 to run off of a ohv 4.0 computer without problems. lots of info on this out there.
That's interesting. I never knew you could run the 4.0 SOHC with the OHV ECU. I wonder how well it would run as the timing and fueling are probably different. Probably something that could be corrected with tuning. Using the OHV wiring and ECM would sure make it easier to swap into an early Ranger with a 2.9L.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals