• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD rebuild or no rebuild.

Bigcheese2321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok guys, my trans has gone in smoke. for about 2 years I had to let it warm up before it would go into gear. took it up hunting in the winter and it did great, got home went target shooting and did a clean up (filled the bed with trash that I didn't bring) and the trans went up in smoke. its a 92 with the A4LD. I am going crazy not having my truck. I have a 302 I plan on swapping in in about 2 years. I want to build it and get half ton running gear before it goes in. just really wondering how hard it is and how expensive it is to rebuild a A4LD trans by myself. I only have access to my dads garage due to me living in a apartment until hopefully next year. I'm going crazy without my truck. the river opens up next month for fishing and hunting is knocking on the door. if anybody could point me in the right direction. I live in NW Washington, if anybody is interested in helping me, ill buy the beer.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If you take your time depending on you skill level you can rebuild the tranny yourself with a good book and alot of parts. Replace all the bushings, thrust washers, sprags, clutches and bands. You wont know what hard parts need replaced until you take it apart you will need a nice sized bench and a good size tub to clean all the parts.
http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/A4LD.html
Here is a breakdown on the parts you can easily spend $500 on parts

Bigcheese2321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok. thanks. I am pretty mechanically inclined. I do suspension brake and tire work for a living. on top of that I have been fixing my own vehicles for 9 years. only have I had to send a vehicle to a shop once. and it was due to me not having the right tool. VW.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Do not put it back together with the old sprags or you will be back. Before you take it apart check the end play in the drive cluster, With a large screwdriver pry the rear drum in both directions that will tell you the condition of the thrust washers. If you take the valve body apart to clean it good be meticulous on where everything came from draw out a pattern on a piece of butcher paper and put each piece in the exact order as it came apart. One little cat hair will make it not work properly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals