• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear end troubles

New Ranger Owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just bought a 04 Ranger xlt fx4. It's got 153k on it. About a week after I bought it I started to notice a slight vibration mixed with a clunking noise when taking off from a dead stop. (Seems like it's coming from the rear end) This is the only time it happens and it stops once I get up to about 5 mph. I was thinking bad u-joint as there is about an 1/8 inch of play in the drive shaft when I turn it by hand. Any other suggestions on what it might be? Or am I accurate on the u-joint? I'm no pro when it comes to working on trucks but I know my fair share. So i'm looking for all the help that I can get!

Last edited:

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Any play at all that can be felt/seen by hand in a u-joint is too much. I think you have found the problem.
Big Jim

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Is that 1/8" play in the differential or in the driveshaft itself. Backlash in the differential is normal but there should be no play in the driveshaft. Look at the u-joints when you rotate. There should be no movement between the u-joint and the driveshaft.

The slip joint can bind and cause a clunk when taking off from a stop. That is a fairly easy fix. You just need to take it apart and lube it with the proper grease.

Last edited:

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Is that 1/8" play in the differential or in the driveshaft itself. Backlash in the differential is normal but there should be no play in the driveshaft. Look at the u-joints when you rotate. There should be no movement between the u-joint and the driveshaft.
Beat me to it. Drive shaft = no play in u-joints at all. Differential usually has some play when you move it back and forth.

New Ranger Owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The play was in the differential so I think i am all good there. Was messing around under it this weekend and replaced a couple of seals in the rear end and opened everything up to take a look. I'm thinking I might suffer from the infamous slip yoke issue. So when I get some time i'll pull the drive shaft out and grease the slip yoke up and see if the problem is solved!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals