• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 Ranger 2.3MFI Timing issues

ramzzhakim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
SO I had to replace my timing belt on my 86 2.3 FI and beforehand it was running great. Now when I try to start it it just sits and turns over. I have the #1 at TDC, ive checked that 3 times now, I am getting spark from the Coil to the distributor and the dist to the plugs, all tested with an in line spark tester. The plugs are wet when I pull them out after cranking. The ONLY thing I can think is that the cam sprocket when lined up with the triangle needs to be turned 180 degrees. Would that make a difference? Is the exhaust valves closed on one 360 degree spin and open on a second? I cannot get this thing to start. New plugs, coil, wires, distributor, cap, rotor. I am at a total loss.

Last edited:

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
you could very well have cam timing off. cyl 1 needs to be at tdc on compression stroke which means both valves closed on cyl 1.. also remember that crank rotates 2 times for 1 rotation of cam.

ramzzhakim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I stuck a straw in the #1 hole and turned the crank until the straw was at its apex, might that need to be turned one more time or is it the cam that needs to go around once more?

pickupman6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Does an 86 have a distributor? That's really the only time you need to worry about being 180 out and that's only if you removed it. 180 out will be in time with one more crank shaft revolution. On distributorless ignitions it is impossible to be 180 out if your timing marks are lined up on a single bank engine.

ramzzhakim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
It does have a distributor. Would I be 180 out on the cam? If so do I just rotate my cam around 180 or what? IM pretty new to timing belts. Sorry bout my incompetence on the matter

ramzzhakim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Update

When I try and start the engine it turns over, gets spark, plugs are wet and show signs of firing <<<<BUT>>>>>

Exhaust fumes come out of the air intake. Dont know if that means something to someone but ive tried timing it 8 times now. Cam has marks so I know that needs to be lined up with those, distributor points at #1 every time and I remove #1 plug and slowly turn the crank by itself with a fiberglass dowel in the plug hole and feel the piston until it reaches the very top of its stroke and my fiberglass dowel is all the way out of the hole. BAM TDC. Put a belt on while piston is at TDC, pointing at #1 and cam mark is lined up with the mark. Still wont start. What am I doing wrong here? :'C

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Rotate the plug wires on the distributor two places, basically I think you have the distributor 180* out, but it's easier to move the plug wires

turboeeyore

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
do this. line up your timing marks on the belt. check that the timing line on the crank pully line up with 0 degrees on the timing tab. then take the distributor cap off and number one sparkplug wire should be lined up with the rotor. if not loosen the belt and rotate the right side timing gear( distributor drive gear) until the rotor lines up with number one plug wire( there should be a "1" stamped into the cap. then tighten everthing and time it with a timing light.

ramzzhakim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Rotor is lined up perfectly fnow with engine at TDC with the cam on intake not exhaust. It still wont start. Any ideas? It sits and turns over spark to every plug but just wont catch.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Your rotor should point to 1 when you're at TDC, with neither intake nor exhaust open. Both cam lobes should be angled well away from the lifters at that point, as the spark fires between compression and expansion strokes, and both valves are closed for both of those strokes.

It sounds to me like you need to rotate your distributor independently of the camshaft, 180 degrees. Are there two starts to the distributor engagement threads? You might have got it in the opposite orientation from the original.

ramzzhakim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Im just confused cause i never touched my distributor. let me take a picture of my cam and show you were everything is lined at. THan you for your help in this BTW

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Did you take the timing gear off the camshaft, and is it possible to get the gear on in a different orientation?

ramzzhakim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I didnt take any gears of the cam or oil pump/distributor. I only took off the crank pully and that is key'd plus I know its at tdc. Ill try the distributor, do I only move the distributor 180 or can I just spin the rotor one rotation?

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Move the spark wires 180 and leave the dist alone.
Big Jim

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
One full rotation is too much, that would bring you around to where you started again. You can rotate the distributor 180, or move each plug wire 180 (which is quicker).

But, there's something you need to explain: in your first post, you say "New distributor", yesterday you said " I never touched my distributor"... How do you install a new distributor without touching it? Are you referring to a past install of a new distributor, or what?

The fact that your distributor is reported to be way out of sync with your camshaft, and yet the distributor was never adjusted, defies explanation.

Perhaps there's some misunderstanding here, between what we're asking and what you're reporting.

Do you have a service manual? Even a Chilton's or Haynes?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals