• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2010 Ranger gas tank problem

ole blue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i got a 2010 ranger that I cannot get gas in the tank unless I go way slow. If I go half way on the nozzle it pours out the fill tube. I changed the tank and it still does it...I am out of ideas other than maybe a vent tube not connected properly. The one at the rear top of the tank that goes into the frame may not be connected all the way. I can't see that being it but any ideas you have would be great.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
As I recall, the fill hose consists of two hoses. It has an inner hose that the fuel flows through and an outer hose that vents the tank as it fills. You could have a restriction in either that could cause your problem. You could take off the fill hose and check for blockages like kinks, debris, etc.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The vent hose that goes into the frame, take it off and try to fill it. Those hoses plug up with dirty and spiders and stuff and cause the tank to not fill properly.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Just had this happen on my 02. Couldn't get gas into it. The pump would shutoff after about a gallon went in.

Shop checked it out and said it was the evaporator canister. It is big plastic tube like thing about 6 inches in diameter and 18 inches long. It is located up under the spare tire. They said it was plugged up and wouldn't let the air out of the tank. I don't understand how the system actually works (or how it could get plugged, Ford calls it a no maintenance, lifetime part); but, I think the tank vent goes to the canister and then from the canister to the vent in the filler pipe so that once the fuel cap is in place it is a closed system. Must be some additional plumbing in there for the purge valve.

On mine, I think it got filled with fuel somehow when the tank was dropped to replace the fuel pump and air wouldn't pass through it.

I think you might be able to pull it out and test it to see if you can blow or suck air though it. I used a shop vac. to, more or less, test it. I'd also check the lines to/from it for kinks that would keep air from flowing.

Anyway, changed it and problem went away.

Last edited:

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The tank vents gas fumes to the evap canister, the evap canister holds them (passively) until the engine is running, when they get drawn into the crankcase, where they circulate into the vacuum system and finally to the air intake, where they get drawn into the cylinders and burned. Unless I'm confused again.

If no vent lines were plugged, then if your evap canister got filled with gas, it would evaporate from the canister and clear itself out. It must have been something solid that plugged your canister or lines.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
The tank vents gas fumes to the evap canister, the evap canister holds them (passively) until the engine is running, when they get drawn into the crankcase, where they circulate into the vacuum system and finally to the air intake, where they get drawn into the cylinders and burned. Unless I'm confused again.

If no vent lines were plugged, then if your evap canister got filled with gas, it would evaporate from the canister and clear itself out. It must have been something solid that plugged your canister or lines.
I can't disagree. I may have over reacted and wanted to fix it immediately. Upon reflection, I think I should have just let it go for a while and see how it worked out over a couple/few fill- ups. Because, I cannot find anything wrong with the old canister. So, if anyone needs one, I think I have a good one; but, since Ford says they never go bad......

Live and learn, buy high and sell low, etc. Ed

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals