• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Spare Tire

oldyellr

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hi,
I don't have a Ranger, but my son just bought a 1998 2WD 4L Supercab and we need a bit of help.

I Googled this subject and even came across a thread on it here, but we're still confused. We tried to lower the spare tire, but the tool just turns and nothing happens. The tool is in sections and it's cranked using the lug wrench. The business end is flat with a slight hook in it. I presume it's supposed to go into a slot in the winch, but Googling I've come across references to a "key" or "lock" which could be a special socket that goes on the end of the took and engages a special bolt head on the winch. Is this the case with the '98 Ranger, or does the "lock" refer to some security plug (which is missing) in the hole above the bumper where you insert the tool? I'd really like to get the spare down without using an angle grinder. Any other tips would be much appreciated.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I ran across this same situation in an 04 f150. There is a "key" very similar to the key used for some locking lug-nuts or vending machines. Without the key I know of no solution as yet. Ford didn't keep a record of the key in relation to vin. I didn't realize there was such keys when I first got the truck and tossed the key in the garbage as Ithought it was useless....kicking myself in the ass every time I think of it. I suspect that yours is the same.
Good luck,

Richard

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^^Thanks.
I'm going to try using the bolt head easy-out.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
OK, I just went out and looked at both of my trucks. Neither came equipped with the spare tire key/lock. If there is a hole there is no key required. You will see the key slot and lock filling the hole if you need a key!!!

When you look at the hole where the shaft goes, it is just a hole. If you use a flashlight you can see the end of the lowering socket through the hole. Just for fun Ford used two types of spare tire winches. One uses the pointy ended shaft (has a hook on it). The other uses the square end of one of the shafts. In other words one type uses one end of two shafts and the other type uses the other two.

My 02 uses the pointed/hooked end. My 08 uses the square end. And, I do know that my 97 (long gone) used the pointed end.

So before you get out the cutting equipment, get down on your hands and knees that look through the hole.

oldyellr

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I ran across this same situation in an 04 f150. There is a "key" very similar to the key used for some locking lug-nuts or vending machines. Without the key I know of no solution as yet. Ford didn't keep a record of the key in relation to vin. I didn't realize there was such keys when I first got the truck and tossed the key in the garbage as Ithought it was useless....kicking myself in the ass every time I think of it. I suspect that yours is the same.
Good luck,

Richard
From my searches I did come across something like that, but wasn't sure if that was on the F-series or the Ranger. Tonight we'll have look where we found the jack and tools to see if the key is there, in a pile of rust.

oldyellr

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I'm still confused. I downloaded the owner's manual for the truck and there's no mention of any kind of "key".

The hole between the tailgate and bumper is barely big enough to get my finger in, so I don't see how a key or extractor could go through there. Anyway, my son has no patience and was anxious to take off on a road trip, so we took an angle grinder to it and dropped the tire. One day when we have more time we'll get the winch out of there and repair the end of the cable.

Mounting a spare under there exposed to years of salt spray is a dumb idea. Their Montana minivan has the same thing and he's never been able to use the spare. The only good way I've seen this implemented was on a '72 Datsun truck I had that used a rugged chain mechanism that wouldn't rust up.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Like I said before in post #5. If there is a hole, there is NO lock. The lock fills the hole and the key takes the lock out of the hole so you can get to the winch drive. And there are two different kinds of drives, slotted and square drive.

oldyellr

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
From what I've been able to find, the "lock" is either a conventional tumbler lock with a key, blocking the hole, or it's a gadget that goes on the end of the handle and engages a special lug nut type thing on the winch. Two different things. One day when we have time, we'll remove the winch and see why the flat end of the handle didn't seem to work.

The bottom end of the cable has a mushroom shaped piece swaged on it and I ground up the head to get the tire to drop. One day I'll fix it so it can be used again.

JackDW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If I remember correctly, my 03 Ranger just uses the little hook. My 04 F150 uses the special key (looks like one of those key lugs used on Mag Wheels). Take a flashlight and look through the hole in the bumper to make sure there is no obstruction. The first time I used it on the F150, it would not work. There was a little rock hung up mechanism that prevented the key from seating in the slot.

oldyellr

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The handle on this one has a flat end with a slight curve in it, like a dinner fork. I'm guessing the curve is so it doesn't easily work out of the jack or winch. In any case, the truck is now off on a road trip with the spare sitting in the back, where God meant it to be.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals