• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dual Center Pins in Leaf Spring to Relocate Axle

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
its a key point plum...

and i left out, i regularly destroy springs because i dont properly bump stop them generally....it is also a reason you want to carefully single leaf cycle your suspension if you want maximum safe wheel travel. its easy to mess the springs up and yours are not cheap....i run junkyard stuff and have piles of leafs to work with, if i had a 5-700 dollar set of springs the would be limited in travel for sure.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
I forgot to mention...I added a single traction bar with a shackle. My springs were super soft and had a HUGE arch. so my rear U joint would actually bind under semi aggressive acceleration.
my same problem as well, but I opted for a "slip-n-twist" rather than a shackle. the slip-n-twist when properly set up is the only way to maintain absolutely perfect pinion angle throughout the entire cycle of the suspension

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Ideally my shackle should ne longer, but it would cause driveshaft clearance issues. I have been rocking this setup for 2 years of aggressive wheeling with out a U joint failure. I "should" add longer rear bump stops, but its kind of too late. I already have a 3" driver rear lean and had to replace a snapped leaf back there.lol

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
yeah, the shackle is "close enough" for most guys. and is the most commonly accepted choice

the slip-n-twist is anchored exactly parallel with the t-case u-joint, and the lower tube is placed in such a way that it is in-line with the pinion 100%. you usually then use a bushing just like a shackle has on the ends, and it is 2 pieces so the tubes sleeve together (like your driveshaft slip-joint). and also allows it to twist because they are just sleeved together. so not only do you get the little bit of twist from the bushings, you get full twist allowing for less hurting of flex.

but it never allows for the pinion angle to deviate. a shackle's pivot is constantly moving back/forth
and most guys don't try to line them up with their pinions. They usually just find a spot on the diff, and say "i'll weld it there"

a slip-n-twist runs parallel to the driveshaft allowing you to put a driveshaft-hoop on it, as well as use it to provide driveshaft protection if you want.

they are pretty neat.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I would be worried about getting dirt/grime in the slip or tweaking it on a rock to the point in no longer slides freely.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
its a tight/greased fit of 2-sizes DOM tube. nothing gets in there. You can also use a "fork skin" which is a neoprene sleeve that keeps water, and dirt out of it. they are originally intended for motorcycle forks, but they work great.

it sleeves so high up by the t-case it isn't very vulnerable, and anything that would hurt that would hurt your driveshaft (which is right beside it) anyway

Last edited:

rangeron33s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wouldn't dropping the front of the spring down about an inch work?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
When I put my rear suspension together I drilled the pin in the center but with the rearched (added something random a buddy had around under the main leaf) Explorer leaf pack that ended up putting the axle too far forward, had to drill a hole forward about an inch to center it in the wheel well, doing that you don't have to do anything to the top plate, it's been working just fine for a long time...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals