• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tools needed for changing ball joints

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
On my 94 4x4 I need to change the drivers side ball joints.

I understand I'll need:

Ball joint press
4-prong spindle nut socket
snap ring pliers

But I only have wrenches and sockets up to 18mm on hand and will need to buy larger size wrenches if I need them.....

Anyone know what size wrench I'll need to get the top and bottom ball joint nuts off?

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Na, thats a 2000, which has a newer suspension style. My truck has the older TTB style, but I believe its not exactly the same as the older pre-90 broncos....

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ohhhh, damn... lol

give me a moment i'll get you more info...

edit:

* HOME
* REPAIR INFO
* 1994 FORD TRUCK RANGER 4WD 4.0L MFI 6CYL REPAIR GUIDE
* SUSPENSION & STEERING
* 4-WHEEL DRIVE FRONT SUSPENSION
* BALL JOINTS

1. Check and adjust the front wheel bearings. Raise and support the vehicle.

2. Have a helper grasp the lower edge of the tire and move the wheel assembly in and out.

3. While the wheel is being moved, observe the lower spindle arm and the lower part of the axle jaw.

4. A 1 / 32 in. (0.8mm) or greater movement between the lower part of the axle jaw and the lower spindle arm indicates that the lower ball joint must be replaced

5. To check the upper ball joints, while the wheel is being moved, observe the upper spindle arm and the upper part of the axle jaw.

6. A 1 / 32 in. (0.8mm) or greater movement between the upper part of the axle jaw and the upper spindle arm indicates that the upper ball joint must be replaced

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Except Mountaineer, 1995-99 Explorer and 1998-99 Ranger

The ball joints are arranged such that if the upper ball joint is to be removed, the lower ball joint must be removed first. Also, when installing the upper ball joint, the lower ball joint must be installed first. Failure to install the lower ball joint before the upper, will result in a lack of clearance for the installation tool.

1. Remove the steering knuckle.

2. Place knuckle in vise and remove snapring from bottom ball joint socket if so equipped.

3. Assemble the C-frame, T74P-461-C, forcing screw, D79T-3010-AE and ball joint remover T83T-3050-A or equivalent on the lower ball joint.

4. Turn forcing screw clockwise until the lower ball joint is removed from the steering knuckle.

5. Repeat the previous steps for the upper ball joint.

Always remove and install the lower ball joint first
To install:

6. Clean the steering knuckle bore and insert lower ball joint in knuckle as straight as possible. The lower ball joint doesn't have a cotter pin hole in the stud.

7. Assemble the C-frame, T74P-461-C, forcing screw, D790T-3010-AE, ball joint installer, T83T-3050-A and receiver cup T80T-3010-A3 or equivalent tools, to install the lower ball joint.

8. Turn the forcing screw clockwise until the lower ball joint is firmly seated. Install the snapring on the lower ball joint.

If the ball joint cannot be installed to the proper depth, realignment of the receiver cup and ball joint installer will be necessary.

9. Repeat the previous steps for the upper ball joint.

10. Install the steering knuckle.

Mountaineer, 1995-99 Explorer and 1998-99 Ranger

The ball joints on the Mountaineer, 1995-99 Explorer and 1998-99 Ranger are integral with the control arms. If the ball joint is defective, the entire control arm must be replaced. Refer to the appropriate control arm removal & installation procedures later in the section.

however....... a little bit of searching would have turned up this thread for you ;) last post was the day before yesterday too lol

http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106006

Last edited:

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
well thats good info on the procedure, but I think I've got that covered.

I'm looking to see if anyone can verify what size wrenches i'll need for those ball joint nuts. 1-1/8" or 1-15/16"? bigger? smaller? I only have up to 18mm on hand so I'll need to go pick up the right size before I start the job

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did you check the thread i posted a link to?

i'm about 99% sure it's bigger than 21

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Im 95% sure the ball joint nut us a 24mm.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I know what tool you need!

Calipers!

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
on the lower BJ has a castle nut on it, i think it's a 13/16, i cant remember. i just finished attaching my knuckles to my d35, i cant remember right now.

i'd get an impact gun as well. i used a cheap eletric one that i got when i worked at autozone (the manager was gonna throw it away). it makes using the BJ press 100 times easier.

i'd get some PB blaster as well

and as always, a BFH

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
According to this its a 1-1/8" wrench, but this is on a Bronco and my lower ball joints are listed for only 93-97 rangers/explorers/navajos so I'm not sure thats reliable

http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/tech/bronco-ball-joint-replacement-18945.html

I guess I can just see what nut is on the new ball joint when I get it and hope its the same size as what's installed in the truck now....

did you check the thread i posted a link to?

i'm about 99% sure it's bigger than 21
I read the whole thing through, but I didnt see where it stated what size wrenches to use.

I'm not worried about the top because that pinch bolt looks smaller than 18mm anyway so I'm sure I'll get that one, its just the lower.

I've got lots of PB blaster, pneumatic impact, a BFH, but I think I'm going to take the knuckle to a shop to have them press out the old ball joints/press in the new ones just so I dont have to buy a ball joint press, i'll just borrow a buddies car. Should take them all of 15 minutes tops IMO.

Last edited:

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Ya well I've had to either completely have a shop do the job or me completely. They want the money or they tell me to screw. So I just make sure I have the tools. What about "other" squeezing tools, I mean long as it put enough force down you should be fine. Wouldn't like, a manual hand cranked squeezing tool work? Such as those used to squeeze wood together? Just make sure it puts it in straight not sideways.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
According to this its a 1-1/8" wrench, but this is on a Bronco and my lower ball joints are listed for only 93-97 rangers/explorers/navajos so I'm not sure thats reliable

http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/tech/bronco-ball-joint-replacement-18945.html

I guess I can just see what nut is on the new ball joint when I get it and hope its the same size as what's installed in the truck now....

I read the whole thing through, but I didnt see where it stated what size wrenches to use.

I'm not worried about the top because that pinch bolt looks smaller than 18mm anyway so I'm sure I'll get that one, its just the lower.

I've got lots of PB blaster, pneumatic impact, a BFH, but I think I'm going to take the knuckle to a shop to have them press out the old ball joints/press in the new ones just so I dont have to buy a ball joint press, i'll just borrow a buddies car. Should take them all of 15 minutes tops IMO.

if you have an autozone near you, they'll loan out the BJ press. buying one may be pricey, but you can use them to take out/put in u-joints, so it may be worth it to own one

sfwjesse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The upper ball joint doesnt have a nut...just a snap ring and a 12 mm pinch bolt. The lower is definietly not over 1"....i think its like 13/16. Whatever it is...your standard box end wrench package has that size...i know cause mine did (done around 5 of these). I know the nut looks ugly but they always seem to come off easy.

Rent the press at autozone..done it many times. None of the adaptors fit perfect but between a hammer and various combinations you can get it. I did my first ones with various pipes and a hammer on the front steps...not fun.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
just get a crescent wrench...

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well if its under 1" then I'm not too worried about it. I do have a crescent wrench but if the nut was larger than 1" I'd be stuck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals