• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 Idles High On Start Up Then Dies

SykoRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
i got my truck running good finally atleast somewhat, its got good power now but still idles weird, when i fire it up on cold start it revs to like 2100 or so then slowly starts to drop, when it reaches like in 1200-1500 it will die real fast, then i start it back up and it will idle high again then slowly over time the idle will calm down to around 1000-1100, it only stalls on the first start, then once u start it again it wont stall? lol, its weird, could the TPS need adjusting? or is there some sensor they might be bad? any help wud be great thanks.

kmack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1984
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i have the exact same problem. well i did before. now i have alot more problems... but its still one of them.

warment

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My guess would be a faulty Idle Air Control Valve or Differential Pressure Feedback Sensor (usually a little black box on the firewall with vacuum lines going into it).

warment

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
On my 2000 GT Mustang, the car quit quickly when the IAC was gummed up and the idle would hang when the DPFK sensor went bad.

Bill

SykoRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
IACV is brand new, as for that sensor im not sure what your talking about, there is a MAP sensor but that doesnt seem to be the problem since i have 2 and have switched them out

warment

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I think the DPFE Sensor is tied into the EGR system.

Have you ever changed out the EGR valve? When the EGR gets gummed up, it sticks and could probably cause the problems you are having. Usually you can fit a small flat screwdriver into the side of the egr and work the diaphragm up and down a little. You might be able to feel if it is sticking.

I assume that you have checked for vacuum leaks too? I would do that too if you haven't.

Bill

SykoRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
man its still doing this, it will fire right up idle to like 2k rpms or so then slowly lower rpms then just poof dead cuts off, it will keep doin it until its warm it seems then its completely fine, i noticed if i try to catch it when its about to shut off and give a little gas it doesnt help, i hit the gas to catch it, it revs a little then will still shutoff, i tryed messing with the TPS which is new and doesnt help, also tryed raising idle screw...nothing. im kinda lost.

SykoRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
what else can i try to do? its so weird its fine after its warmed up but it shuts off a few times at first until warm...ive pulled the egr sensor thing that has 3 bolts on it and its clean and the little button moves fine...im not sure where the DPFK and if my ranger even has one of those...only thing on the firewall is the MAP sensor

wjwatkins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
maybe ect sensor
can you check the codes to see if you having any sensors not performing right.

wjw

Havok 4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
i have the exact motor in mine and i fixed my weird idlings by switching out the pcv valve ull find it right behind the alternator,might not be your problem also but it fixed mine wonderfully,my valve was sloppy as hell,hope this helps.
btw 88 :headbang:

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how old is your catalytic converter? if that is old and worn then it could be clogged somewhat and limiting your engine's flow, which would limit the rpm's progressively AND then when you get the engine warm it 'cleans it out' in a way and the exhaust can push on through.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals