• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

needin a cross section of transmission shifter

desertjoe84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I got a mig, a cuttin torch and a grinder,,and I ain't afraid to use em.
Hello All,,, I just got a 1984 BII with the 2.8, 4 Sp (5 SP?) and 4X4 with 85,456 real miles. I haven't got it to run as some thieves stole the starter, starter solenoid, ignition coil and the rear driveshaft,,,,,sheeesh,,, I got a new starter, and solenoid at O'reillys then I realized the ignition coil was also missing, along with the plastic connector,,,!!!
The reason the PO parked it was the trans had locked up in reverse and they broke the plastic "guides" on the shifter and shifter would just spin around and not go into any gear. I was able to find a used shifter at a wrecking yard today but it is not exactly like mine. I'm not sure if mine is a 4 SP or a 5 SP, but some literature on driver side visor states methods for overdrive shifting ( 5 SP?)
The metal part on MY tranny that slides forward and back or sideways does not snap back to center like the BII I took the shifter off of. The donor BII tranny seems to have some springs that make the "center part" where shifter goes,,snap back to center position. Hopin somebody can make sense of what I'm trying to describe.
Does anybody here have a manual that shows the shifter section of tranny for the 84's?? NOT lookin forward to pullin the tranny,,,,!!!
I went to the local Ford house to see if I could look at their tranny manuals and they told me they would fix it but did not loan out their manuals,,,,,,,,,S***A****'s,,,!!!!
Can anybody help,??

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

desertjoe84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Hey AlwaysFIOoreD,,Yeah,,I had looked at all those but the trans they show is different from mine. The shifter hold down is round and has 3 bolts where mine is square and has the 4 hold down bolts. The 1986 trans I got the shifter off of also had the square bolt pattern, but was different inside the trans,,,???

Where to from here,,,???? Anybody got a shop manual,,?? THANKS

desertjoe84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Guys,,I'm really needin some help with some info, here,,,,,I did verify thru the tag on the door that it is a 5 speed trans and PO tells me they never did anything drive train so, trans is original to trk. Trk was made in 07/84.
There IS a manual for sale here but info says it for early T5 Ford trans,,,???
Surely someone here has a Ford shop manual,,,,???

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well, that didn't work. Let's try something else!
84 B2s only came with the 4 speed TK4. Are you sure it's an 84? 85 could have had either the TK4 or TK5, the 5 speed version of the TK4.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
84 B2s only came with the 4 speed TK4. Are you sure it's an 84? 85 could have had either the TK4 or TK5, the 5 speed version of the TK4.
I had a 1984 B2 with the 5 speed, bought it new. Picked it up late June, maybe a mid year change?
Dave

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well, that didn't work. Let's try something else!
I had a 1984 B2 with the 5 speed, bought it new. Picked it up late June, maybe a mid year change?
Dave
That's what I get for trusting bronco corral's tech pages! Lol.

For what it's worth, the tk4 and tk5 both have square shifter covers with 4 bolts.

Ilike55s2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey fellow Members,,,Well,, after several months of working on getting this trk running again,,,,I have decided to sell my 84 Bronco 2.
I ain't figured out how to post pics but if interested I can email you some.
The trk is a LOW mileage (85,456) Bronco II with the original 2.8, 5 speed, and 4X4. Trk also has factory A/C. White outside and red inside. Has the factory spare tire carrier at back lift gate. Original Radio works good. This trk was originally purchased in Alamogordo, NM and spent all its life there, so , no rust out panels here.
It now has the Duraspark Conversion with new distributor, cap, wires, Ignition Module and Coil. Rebuilt 2 barrel 500 CFM Holley. The engine, transmission and 4X4 all work great and engine starts right up. Also has new ignition cylinder with 2 keys and the 3 doors all open and lock like supposed to. Has dual exhaust with glass packs that sound great.
Contact me if interested.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals