• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

power supply

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i'm planning on adding 4 hella or kc lights to my truck when i get it. most likely two fogs and 2 for distance. would i be able to run all 4 off the 1 battery and not short anything out if the head lights are on too? should i get another battery and just hook the 4 up to that?

ChopTop84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Your battery really is only needed for starting the vehicle, and running things when the engine is off. The rest of the time, your Alternator does all of the powering of your vehicle. If your ALT is not big enough, then the battery tries to make up the difference until it goes dead.

Running 4 lights is not a problem, as long as your ALT is big enough to handle your vehicle's needs, plus the needs of the lights.

What wattage lights are you getting? Just for the sake of easy math, assume 10 watts of light needs 1 amp of power in a 12v automotive system. So if you get 4 lights, at 100 watts each, your looking at about 40 amps of power. You wont be wiring that up to your headlight wires thats for sure. Your looking at running a couple of 30amp relays from the battery, and some really nice #10 wire between the battery, the relays, and the lights. Dont forget a quality fuse holder with about 12" of the battery connection.

I just happened to make up a diagram for another guy this week, but it applies here also...

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i'm either gonna get the 55 or the 100's. what do you think i should get?

ChopTop84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
HIDs. Im so over halogens.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I agree with Chop, if you have the money, go HID...

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
By all means, use the relays and an in-line fuse or a circuit breaker. Use good wire and terminals.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals