• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just changed TFI module need help

88 XLT Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Need help

I changed my TFI due to popping no power after going up a steep highway grade after heating up. I changed it to a new Ford Accel one when I fired it up it runs but stumbles real quick in RPM's every few seconds. I took it for test drive same issue I did move the old plug wires around. I wonder if its a bad set of plug wires? its like when its cross wired or jumping spark. I smell a gas smell when its popping it will go to 2000rpm's pooping. I am real lost on this deal I hate to buy plug wires and not be that issue these are 13 years old

I got a tester but can't seam to get it work right

Last edited:

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
Sometimes TFI's are bad out of the box. Auto parts store can test or just get another one. Most times TFI problem is a no start condition, is that why you changed it out to begin with? The rest of the system ok? If it wasn't acting up before you should've left the plug wires be. You may have pulled one lose from the metal around the boot? Check for continuity in the wires? Cap ok? No cracks or carbon build up? I'm sure others will chime in if I missed something. Good luck..

13 year old plug wires probably need changed out anyway.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Make sure SPOUT connector is good and plugged in

88 XLT Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Sometimes TFI's are bad out of the box. Auto parts store can test or just get another one. Most times TFI problem is a no start condition, is that why you changed it out to begin with? The rest of the system ok? If it wasn't acting up before you should've left the plug wires be. You may have pulled one lose from the metal around the boot? Check for continuity in the wires? Cap ok? No cracks or carbon build up? I'm sure others will chime in if I missed something. Good luck..

13 year old plug wires probably need changed out anyway.

I changed it because it was pooping missing no power after getting up in temp. There was a few folks they thought it was the TFI I also read in files here the same issue I am having. I bought an Accel TFI as soon as I started it the thing stumbles at idle and under power. I still have the poping and no power. I guess I should have got a Motorcraft TFI through OReilly auto parts. They had this Accel TFI in stock. I see no leaking spark at night on the wires if one was bad

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
This is in the engine section 2.9 Tech pages. All connections to ECM

TFI Module:

Your Ranger/Bronco II is stalling/dieing or sputtering when hot but runs when it cools off. This can be caused by a faulty TFI and the biggest culprits are heat. Another culprit can be a wire grounding out. Problematic TFI's can give off codes 14 (PIP) and 18 (SPOUT).

To learn more about the problem and how to deal with it, click HERE.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2.9l engine?

Google: ford ranger 2.9l SPOUT connector

Should be passenger side of engine between valve cover and upper intake, near distributor.

SPOUT is spark out, this wire comes from the computer and goes to the TFI module, it allows computer to advance and retard spark timing.
There is a SPOUT "jumper" that can be removed so this wire is no longer connected, you need to do this when you want to set based spark timing at 10 or 12 deg Before TDC.
This SPOUT setup replaced the Vacuum advance on distributors.
Distributor still has centrifugal advance inside, but an engine would be sluggish and under powered without added advance from Vacuum or SPOUT, so "jumper" needs to be in place and making a good connection

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Popping (backfire) and no power sounds more like a timing issue than a bad TFI to me.

Time to break out the timing light.

One other thing to consider, the drive gear for the distributor is held to the shaft by a roll pin. It is possible, and not unheard of, for that roll pin to break. If that happens the gear can move back and forth on the shaft causing timing issues. When it happened to me I had intermittent rough running, back fires, no power, stalling, hard starting, spark knock, excessive power, poor fuel economy, no heat, over heating, and sudden bouts of rage. And all that was just on the way to work in the morning.

88 XLT Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
New issue guy's

I got pissed at this on going issue I fired it up cold tonight still stumbling on idle as it never did before the TFI change. I took and started moving the wires coming out of the TFI it shut off tried to start no start. I moved the wires around again it fired up still stumbling like a bad miss. I moved the wires killed the engine your opinions on this?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
What wires are you actually moving? There is a main power feed on early Rangers (black/pink) that can get frayed to the point of barely making contact. That is the one running from the ignition to the starter relay on the fender and it can kill ALL power to the truck.

If it is just killing the engine then you've narrowed it down to just the power supply for the ignition...and that could have been the issue all along...or, as often happens with older wiring...a complication that may or may not even be related to the first symptoms.

RonD mentioned in one of the first posts to try troubleshooting the TFI system before swapping...I meant to back that up but got distracted by something...

My fault for not chiming in earlier...even though it sounded EXACTLY like it was a heat related TFI issue...these issues can be a hit and miss sort of search and destroy affair that can keep you scratching your head for days...or longer.

88 XLT Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
What wires are you actually moving? There is a main power feed on early Rangers (black/pink) that can get frayed to the point of barely making contact. That is the one running from the ignition to the starter relay on the fender and it can kill ALL power to the truck.

If it is just killing the engine then you've narrowed it down to just the power supply for the ignition...and that could have been the issue all along...or, as often happens with older wiring...a complication that may or may not even be related to the first symptoms.

RonD mentioned in one of the first posts to try troubleshooting the TFI system before swapping...I meant to back that up but got distracted by something...

My fault for not chiming in earlier...even though it sounded EXACTLY like it was a heat related TFI issue...these issues can be a hit and miss sort of search and destroy affair that can keep you scratching your head for days...or longer.

Thanks for helping Mark

The wires I moved are the one's going into the TFI connector. The wire bundle going across to the engine I notice the plastic covering was melted like it got to close the exhaust manifold. I am going to pull the plastic covering off each each wire loom and up by the TFI. When I changed the TFI I had to move the connector and wire loom over to get to the TFI when I started it up it would drop in rpm's real quick like it wanted to stop running. It does it every few seconds now

88 XLT Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic

Mark

I checked all the wires all good I fired it up now its stalling on its own. I gave it some gas it get the rpm's up moved the wires nothing. I let off the gas stops running its also. This aftermarket Accel TFI must be bad never had the stumbling issue or it stop running until I changed it. I am going to order a Motorcraft TFI from OReilly I don't think they will take this Accel one back. You would think Accel would be good

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2.9's will typically pop and backfire if they have a clogged fuel filter

88 XLT Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
2.9's will typically pop and backfire if they have a clogged fuel filter
Allan

I changed the fuel filter and also ran Lucas fuel injector cleaner in it. This TFI Accel it wont run stalls and drops stumbles in rpm's. The auto store is going to test the Accel TFI he said aftermarket TFI's don't work well on Fords. The Motorcraft should work its a Ford part. It ran fine with old TFI it just starts popping and missing no power after engine got up in temp

88 XLT Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Now I am lost :-(

I just took the old TFI and the Accel down had both tested both passed. Now I don't know how good those test are? I just orderd a Motorcraft TFI hate to waste my money again

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals