• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Water Temp sensor my pooping on going saga issue?

88 XLT Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Need help guy's

I been having this popping missing on going saga with my 2.9L V6 Ranger. I have this other tread to give you some idea where I am at http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168080

I replaced all sensors other than MAP, IAC, TPS, and Temp sensor. Now what I have found out is the water temp sensor controls fuel mixture and ignition timing is this correct? I did notice today it was 67% cool it ran great a little under power but no popping/missing as I came home down hill some 6 miles. I turned off up the street the temp went past 3/4 on the gauge than back below normal real quick. I noticed it trying to pop its normal saga I am kinda at my end of the rope on this effort. It a mistery why this happens on and off I was thinking of pulling the temp sensor out clean the brass end off with fine steel whool any ideas on that? or should I just buy a new one?

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Spark timing is set by YOU, when you adjust distributor using timing light.
TFI Module will then act like a "Vacuum advance" used in older distributors(well computer does).
Computer also "suggests" spark timing changes based on Driver input, TPS, and other computer sensors like the ECT, these "suggestions" are sent to TFI module on the SPOUT wire, this is why you must disconnect SPOUT wire when setting Base Spark Timing, and then reconnect it when you are done setting base spark timing.

While popping can be spark issue or lean/rich fuel mix, the very first thing you do is to take a black and white mechanical issue off the table.
Compression test
Cold engine ALL spark plugs removed
Test each cylinder with 5 "compression hits", you will hear them
Write down the number and move to next cylinder

After you have all 6 written down, look to see if any are 10% lower than the others
i.e. if average is 150psi then 15psi is 10%
If one is 135psi or less then you may have a valve that isn't sealing, add a teaspoon of oil to that cylinder and test again, if it goes up above 150psi then rings are the issue not valves, if it stays below 150psi then it is a valve issue.

This is a black and white mechanical system, so it will either be a good test or tell you there is a problem.
If good you can move on
If bad then you won't waste your time, or money, on other things that are NOT the problem.

2.9l will always have valve train noise, poor design, but if you notice a "ticking" that gets louder at times then you could have a bad lifter which can show as higher or lower compression, and that can cause the on and off popping noise.

Temp gauge went up because you had air in the cooling system and temp SENDER was reading air temp in engine not coolant temp.
ECT sender is just for the temp gauge on dash, it has 1 wire connected
ECT SENSOR has 2 wires and it is only used by the computer
They look similar and are located next to each other, but are not the same or interchangeable.

Last edited:

88 XLT Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Spark timing is set by YOU, when you adjust distributor using timing light.
TFI Module will then act like a "Vacuum advance" used in older distributors(well computer does).
Computer also "suggests" spark timing changes based on Driver input, TPS, and other computer sensors like the ECT, these "suggestions" are sent to TFI module on the SPOUT wire, this is why you must disconnect SPOUT wire when setting Base Spark Timing, and then reconnect it when you are done setting base spark timing.

While popping can be spark issue or lean/rich fuel mix, the very first thing you do is to take a black and white mechanical issue off the table.
Compression test
Cold engine ALL spark plugs removed
Test each cylinder with 5 "compression hits", you will hear them
Write down the number and move to next cylinder

After you have all 6 written down, look to see if any are 10% lower than the others
i.e. if average is 150psi then 15psi is 10%
If one is 135psi or less then you may have a valve that isn't sealing, add a teaspoon of oil to that cylinder and test again, if it goes up above 150psi then rings are the issue not valves, if it stays below 150psi then it is a valve issue.

This is a black and white mechanical system, so it will either be a good test or tell you there is a problem.
If good you can move on
If bad then you won't waste your time, or money, on other things that are NOT the problem.

2.9l will always have valve train noise, poor design, but if you notice a "ticking" that gets louder at times then you could have a bad lifter which can show as higher or lower compression, and that can cause the on and off popping noise.

Temp gauge went up because you had air in the cooling system and temp SENDER was reading air temp in engine not coolant temp.
ECT sender is just for the temp gauge on dash, it has 1 wire connected
ECT SENSOR has 2 wires and it is only used by the computer
They look similar and are located next to each other, but are not the same or interchangeable.
Thanks Ron

Your spot on it seams its a bad couple lifters it ticks real loud on start up and keeps it up until normal temp. I went to 100% Lucas oil stabilizer and a cheap high flow oil filter today runs better. I just need to make it through this winter I guess its time to send it off to the crusher. It cost more to re-build the engine than what the truck is worth. It lasted 197K until his issue I gave it my best shot thanks again for your in depth info and awesome help

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals