• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Radiator Flush

lskrogers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I know the old adage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," but let's just say I'm trying to prevent problems. I have a 2000 Ranger, 3.0, and it seems to heat and cool just fine. I bought it used and have no idea if and when the previous owner ever, drained and refilled the cooling system. I have read the active chemical on the Prestone Rad. Flush bottles and it is Citric Acid. Several web sites say citric acid is great for copper radiators but NOT for aluminum systems. Several web sites say to use nothing to flush the radiator but to just drain and fill.
Does a 2000 Ranger have a copper or aluminum radiator and does anybody suggest a cleaner or just drain and fill?
I'd sure appreciate some ideas.
Thanks!!

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
preventative maintainence is a good way to make your vehicle last a looong time.

the 3.0 has an unfortunately bad track record for original coolant. it seems ford, in their infinite wisdom, neglects to properly clean the casting abbrasives out of the block before filling it with coolant. the result is the factory antifreeze has a tendancy to turn black and "thicken up" prematurely...which can lead to serious problems. one of the best things you can do is get that crap out of there as soon as possible.

your radiator is aluminum. its been my experience that most liquid radiator flushes dont do much (neither bad nor good). what i always reccomend for flushing the cooling system is a dry concentrated acid made by a company called mac's sold at napa. it comes in a blue bottle and is a POWDER, not a liquid. this stuff is very powerful and will react to antifreeze...so using it requires that you first drain and flush the system with water to remove all traces of antifreeze. you then fill the system with water, add the acid, and let the engine idle for 1/2 hour to circulate. repeat the draining and flushing, then finally fill with 50/50 antifreeze. it also helps to remove the t-stat before starting. this process works very well for cleaning out the entire cooling system including the radiator and engine water jacket...helping to remove all the crap ford leaves in the engine block.

after that, remember to flush the system every few years to prevent corrosion from building up.

laclabb

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I know the old adage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," but let's just say I'm trying to prevent problems. I have a 2000 Ranger, 3.0, and it seems to heat and cool just fine. I bought it used and have no idea if and when the previous owner ever, drained and refilled the cooling system. I have read the active chemical on the Prestone Rad. Flush bottles and it is Citric Acid. Several web sites say citric acid is great for copper radiators but NOT for aluminum systems. Several web sites say to use nothing to flush the radiator but to just drain and fill.
Does a 2000 Ranger have a copper or aluminum radiator and does anybody suggest a cleaner or just drain and fill?
I'd sure appreciate some ideas.
Thanks!!
Lolz my old friend use to say that. But I am a safe guy. Anyways, I also tried applying the dry concentrated acid sold at napa. Try it man.

Last edited:

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Lolz my old friend use to say that. But I am a safe guy. Anyways, I also tried applying the dry concentrated acid sold at napa. Try it man.
You do know this thread is a year old, right??????????????:)shady

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals