• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Ranger 2.9 to 1992 Explorer 4.0 SWAP Write-up

abaryth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
4.0 Swap - 1992 Explorer 4.0 Auto 4x4 to 1988 Ranger 2.9 4x4
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you will need:

4.0 Engine
Engine Harness
ECC Harness
ECC
EDIS Module
Power distribution box (underhood)
Intake w/MAF sensor
Sensor on firewall w/vacuum line
Fuel line quick disconnects that fit the 4.0 (off most Fords at Pull-a-Part)
4.0 Throttle Cable

Engine

The installation of the engine itself is quite straight forward. Remove the 2.9 with ECC and both harnesses and install the 4.0 in its place. The mounts, tranny, exhaust, radiator/heater hoses all mate together without hassle. The fuel lines from the 92 explorer do not mate with the 2.9 ranger lines. I cut the quick connects off of the ranger lines and trimed the line length appropriately. I then went to Pull-a-part and grabed the right size connectors from a Taurus and another Ranger. Heat up the fitting with a torch and insert it into the nylon fuel line. When it cools it's solid. I added a small hose clamp for added saftey. Make sure you put the retainer clips back on the connection. (TEST THIS FOR LEAKS WITHOUT STARTING THE ENGINE, IT'S RIGHT NEXT TO YOUR EXHAUST MANIFOLD AND COULD CAUSE A FIRE IF DONE INCORRECTLY)...

Wiring the 4.0

Starter - I retained my 2.9 starting system using the original starter with external solenoid. You want to use the 4.0 distribution box's fused link (60AMP, big green wire). Remove your BLK/ORG wire from the + terminal on the starter solenoid and connect it to this GRN wire. Connect the Large BLK wire with the ring terminal comming from the distribution box to the positive side of the starter solenoid. I then bypassed the clutch switch in the Ranger by connecting a wire from one of the RED wires on the clutch switch (under the dash on the clutch master cylinder) to the RED/LT BLU (goes to the small terminal on the starter solenoid) wire at the drivers side firewall. You should now be able to crank the engine over.

Mount the ECC in the same position as the 2.9 and run the 4.0 wiring harness through the firewall as it was on the 2.9. Connect it to the engine harness and connect the 4 PIN Black connector to the 4 PIN connector on the power distribution box which should be mounted on the passenger side inner fender. Mount and connect the EDIS module and the module with vacuum line. The only wires needed to run off of the distribution box are the GRN one and the ones in the 4 PIN connector (fuel and ECC relay). All others can be used for accesories (lights, etc). I just left 8 inches on each wire and removed the fuses for those links so as not to short things out.

Now you should have a big mess of connectors from your original setup on the driver side firewall and a mess of connectors for the 4.0 wiring harness. None of these are direct plug and play from the '88 2.9 to '92 4.0. Sorry! This is where the majority of the 4.0 swap write-ups have failed at least for these years. Yes, you can figure it out by staring at both wiring diagrams but it can be difficult. Here's what I did to make the bitch run.

Explorer--->Ranger
RED/LT GRN \___-----> RED/LT GRN (powers harness/ECC)
RED/LT GRN /
PNK/BLK ----------------> PNK/BLK (on a 1 PIN black connector)(Fuel Pump +12v)

You now need to ground the GRY/YEL wire in the 2 PIN black plug on the end for your 4.0 harness. Now when you turn your ignition on you should hear the relays click on and the fuel pump turn on. Fire that bitch up! There are numerous other wires that need to be attached but this is all you'll need to get going.

Also to get the alternator charging with the 4.0 harness you need to run the LT GRN/RED over to the firewall harness LT GRN/RED. I'll make a thought out post with ALL the wiring colors and splices needed for this swap at a later date.. Also keep in mind that the engine temp sensor and tachometer will not work correctly. I used the oil and temp sensors out of the 2.9 and have yet to find a fix for the tach which reads too high. A tach for DIS is around $66 but I'll try resistors first just to see if it's possible.

Look at the conversion chart on my Photobucket to make the remaining connections.

Here is a link to all wiring diagrams and firewall wiring conversion charts that I used to do my swap as well as pictures of the install taking place.

http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj28/abaryth/Ranger_Wheelin/engine swap/

Here are the wiring diagrams:

4.0 Explorer Engine (1992)

2.9 Ranger/Bronco II (1988)

Here's a chart someone did for their BII 4.0l swap. It helped me with the Ranger swap as well as it's very similar.

Hope this helps someone... Feel free to ask questions!

Last edited:

okietheranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO
Transmission
Manual
u useing the 2.9 rad? does it ever get hot?

abaryth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2.9 rad

I've been driving it for a week now in the snow and ice and it seems to run a bit hotter than the 2.9 did but nothing too serious. I'm using the clutch fan and a 2 speed electric BMW fan pushing in front.. if it ever does get hotter than it is at NOT then I'll just kick the electric on... Ususally only gets hotter than normal in low gears while wheeling.

2.9 radiator: 18x17x1"
4.0 mt radiator 18x17.75x1"
4.0 at radiator 18x17.75x2"

Last edited:

abaryth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
tranny

For now yes.. Everyone says they are weaker and won't stand up to the 4.0l's increased torque but I'm willing to give it a try. If it goes, it goes. I know 2 people that have been running 2.9 trans in their 4.0 swaps for some time without failure. I also read somewhere that they are pretty much the same except for the lower gearing.. I haven't done much hardcore wheeling with it yet on the swap so we'll see!

akagomer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Would you e-mail me a copy of the wiring drawing that shows the changes, the one you have he is not clear,,,My e-mail is dapatt2002@yahoo.com Thanks Bunches

slow96gt

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
on your 92 harness was it a four pin connector going to the fuel pump with two pinks a blacm and gray wire? im trying to find the fuel pump connector on my 92 ex harness

camobancher88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
ok so i did a 4.0 swap from a 92 explorer onto my 88 ranger... i used everything from the 4.0. dash all wiring EVERYTHING!!!!!!!! have most of it figured out other then how to make the dual fuel pumps to wire into the 8 pin connection on the 4.0 harness... i aready have learned that the fuel gauge wont work... but how about to power the pump... am i gonna have to use a newer tank...

tcbaklash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My 2.9 came stock with the Mazda transmission, which was standard with the 4.0 and 2.3. There's a few out there with the same setup, so I would check to make absolute certain that you're transmission is, or is not a Mitsubishi. Easiest way to check is the door panel sticker code "M", or slide under the truck and look for bolts on the bottom of the tranny. If it doesn't have them, it's a Mazda.

Last edited:

Pjenn1988

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
I’ve got a 1988 ford ranger xlt automatic 4x4 I’m wanting to replace the 2.9 as I know it needs a “cylinder head” so I wanna swap out a 1994 Ford Explorer 4.0 2x4 basically want the motor I’m buying complete with a bad trans can I make this work with what you have here essentially? Also if you know could I could the same thing with a 1997/1998 Ford Explorer I think it be cool to try and make that dash work even if a lot of work would be needed. Or simply should I replace the head an head bolts gasket sealer and etc. spending about the same for what I’ll pay for either explorers

stsalvage

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
i have 2 ranger
Make / Model
Ranger XLT exte
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My one question is why not just swap all the harness over to your older truck take the motor and swap it over. But I had a friend of mine do it the easy way find your self a 1988-92 ford ranger frame and do a frame swap cus all the frames are made to take the 2.9--4.0 and you just swap the all the main harness inside and out and your good to go Me I rather have the newer dash then everything is easy. Instead of reinventing the wheel

rngrracing96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
33x10.5x15
Any chance you have the photos for these diagrams and the lists not in photo bucket so I can save them?

4.0 Explorer Engine (1992)

2.9 Ranger/Bronco II (1988)

Here's a chart someone did for their BII 4.0l swap. It helped me with the Ranger swap as well as it's very similar.

Hope this helps someone... Feel free to ask questions!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals