• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking at putting a turbo on my truck curious about options

Morgen01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Recently I decided I wanted to turbo my 2.3l 2001 ranger (DOHC) I saw the article about using an 87-88 T-Bird turbo and that looked looked good to me. after seeing some of the kits their price looked good to me. I understand unless I upgrade more of the engine I will need to run low boost. Any suggestions on getting a turbo in my truck would be appreciated.

Kit on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-DURATEC-T04E-T3-TURBO-CHARGER-MANIFOLD-TURBOCHARGER-WASTEGATE-OIL-LINE-KIT/200699726783?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=25879&meid=0af12fdc3e594e4cbee5d827d285cdb5&pid=100005&prg=10819&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=281353076771&rt=nc#vi-ilComp

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Have you searched on our site? There is some good turbo advice here.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your truck has the DOHC Duratec engine. It doesn't share any parts with the older Lima 2.3 that came with a factory turbo, so the 2.3T stuff that you read about doesn't apply to your engine.

There are no turbo kits designed for the Duratec 2.3 when its used in a Ranger. The Duratec/MZR 4 cylinders have huge aftermarket (and even some factory turbo applications), but most of the applications are in FWD vehicles where the engine is sideways, so things like intake/exhaust manifolds won't work in a Ranger. If you want to have a turbo in the engine bay of your Ranger, you'll have to come up with custom intake and exhaust manifolds, plus the normal stuff for boost( injectors, MAF, tuning, etc).

The other option, is to buy a universal remote turbo setup and put the turbo downstream of your cats. It would still require some customizing, but nothing as complex as designing/fabbing totally custom manifolds.

If you really want to turbo your Duratec, there are a couple of guys over at turbo ranger forums with running examples. That forum is full of info about what you want to do. Just Google "turbo ranger Duratec" and you should be able to dig up some threads about their builds.

Edit: after looking at the link you posted, I don't think that kit would fit a Duratec. The exhaust manifold gasket is way different from a Duratec gasket. The gasket shown has D shaped ports like a Lima, not round like a Duratec. I'm guessing that's an Ebay seller that doesn't know what they're selling, or the picture is for a Lima kit.

Last edited:

Morgen01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your truck has the DOHC Duratec engine. It doesn't share any parts with the older Lima 2.3 that came with a factory turbo, so the 2.3T stuff that you read about doesn't apply to your engine.

There are no turbo kits designed for the Duratec 2.3 when its used in a Ranger. The Duratec/MZR 4 cylinders have huge aftermarket (and even some factory turbo applications), but most of the applications are in FWD vehicles where the engine is sideways, so things like intake/exhaust manifolds won't work in a Ranger. If you want to have a turbo in the engine bay of your Ranger, you'll have to come up with custom intake and exhaust manifolds, plus the normal stuff for boost( injectors, MAF, tuning, etc).

The other option, is to buy a universal remote turbo setup and put the turbo downstream of your cats. It would still require some customizing, but nothing as complex as designing/fabbing totally custom manifolds.

If you really want to turbo your Duratec, there are a couple of guys over at turbo ranger forums with running examples. That forum is full of info about what you want to do. Just Google "turbo ranger Duratec" and you should be able to dig up some threads about their builds.

Edit: after looking at the link you posted, I don't think that kit would fit a Duratec. The exhaust manifold gasket is way different from a Duratec gasket. The gasket shown has D shaped ports like a Lima, not round like a Duratec. I'm guessing that's an Ebay seller that doesn't know what they're selling, or the picture is for a Lima kit.

sounds like either alot of custom work or an odd solution I suppose I'll wait to see if I find any good ideas for now.

http://turborangerforums.com/index.php
^^^^ Just found that place so I may head over to their expertise.

My truck doesn't have limited slip either which makes winter/mud a pain... Is it possible to cannibalize a rear axle from a ranger with limited slip and throw it under mine? Is there a better option than axle replacement?

Last edited:

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Never attribute to malice things that are better explained by stupidity.
I'm currently adding an 88' 2.3 TC motor to my 90' Ranger. Tons of info on this and other forums on that swap. Seriously TONS! Good luck.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
His problem is he's working with a Duratech engine not the older Lima version...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
His problem is he's working with a Duratech engine not the older Lima version...
Oh come on Scott, I seriously doubt that is his ONLY problem. It's just high on the list right now.

Vmaximus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was going to do the turbo thing to a Ranger also but elected to do another engine swap. What I was gonna do is find a Thunderbird Turbo coupe and buy the car hopefully non running and cheap. Then I could pull the engine and trans, computer, all harnesses needed and sensors then trash the car. I have seen the cars on Craigslist for about a grand. Now you have the entire package. Rebuild it all and install with an intercooler. Racer Walsh has performance parts if you want to make it BAD. I still may do this at a later date just trying to find car cheap. Hope this helped.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals