• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where do I find the oem forged 2.3 turbo pistons?

competitiveaudioman

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I have searched ebay and other retailers for a set of oem 2.3 turbo forged pistons for my n/a 2.3 turbo build. Where do I find a set reasonably priced?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
they've been unavailable for more than a decade.

Several manufacturers have offered customs from time to time

I'd suggest asking on the turboford forum

Sorry I don't have the URL...

4D55ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 4d55(2.3 turbo diesel) I'm looking for a turbo.
Can anyone tell me where to get one?
Does a oil cooled turbo for 4d56 interchange?

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
have CP make you a set

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
or get a used oem set, plenty of people have gone that route

DCinDC

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You do not need forged pistons. Depending on the year of your N/A engine you may not need to change them. I know for a fact, from my own experience, that 93 ranger hypereutectic pistons will stand up to plenty of boost. These would be a higher compression which is what you want anyway.

You should tell us what year engine you are working with.

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You do not need forged pistons. Depending on the year of your N/A engine you may not need to change them. I know for a fact, from my own experience, that 93 ranger hypereutectic pistons will stand up to plenty of boost. These would be a higher compression which is what you want anyway.

You should tell us what year engine you are working with.
Please elaborate on why you'd want a higher compression ratio in a turbo application.

DCinDC

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
For more power and better drivability, obviously.

This whole turbo = low compression line is BS.

My 93 Ranger had 9.4:1 compression. It was stock. I ran 18 psi on it for a long time.

On Merkur XR4tis one of the BEST mods is to raise the compression.

I was assuming that this guy has an older non dual plug head 2.3 engine. That would be 9:1. With a dual plug head and those later hyper pistons it would be 9.4:1. Any stock 2.3 turbo engine would only have 8:1.

"The one thing the Merkur XR4ti needs is more compression", Jack Roush.

But the number one reason to want higher compression is that I've done it and it works, and it costs less. Listen to those who have done things successfully. Not those who parrot what other talking heads on the internet say.

DCinDC

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
direct quote from that page:
Generally, compression ratio should be set as high as feasible without encountering detonation at the maximum load condition. Compression ratio that is too low will result in an engine that is a bit sluggish in off-boost operation.

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Understood. there are MANY factors that have to be considered in keeping AFR/detonation in check, making the blanket statement that more compression is better is not the answer. While you may have had success with your hypereutectic stock pistons at 18psi that does not mean that it is the "optimal" route to go.

Kudos to you for having hypereutectic pistons that lasted on a higher than originally engineered compression ratio/turbo application. My personal preference is to build it right, and build it once.

DCinDC

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You're arguing against a forum member with experience in this very area.

I'm assuming that you don't have experience at building higher than stock compression ratio turbo engines. I do. And I've done it way more than once.

But you are also contradicting Jack Roush. And for what? To PARROT what others who also HAVEN'T DONE IT, say?

Why don't you add something to the thread and tell the OP where to buy some OEM pistons that are no longer available.

Or you can offer a real world, economical alternative. Like I did.

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In looking back at some of your previous posts on this subject, I can see that I am no match for your knowledge and experience. Your proven track record with hypereutectic pistons surviving 18psi shall completely negate the laws of physics.

I am pretty sure I offered an alternative to the original question, in forged 2.3 pistons. I got half way there, didn't include the "OEM" part. You offered hypereutectic pistons, which are not forged. I suppose we both got part way there, wouldn't you say? Since the OP hasn't even responded to this thread for a few months, and his previous posts date back to 2010 I would say you and I are having a spectacular internet argument.

SO what oil should I run in my turbo 2.3?

Really, no response is necessary.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals