• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 ranger 2.3 soon to be turbo

Xploda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 soon to be turbo
Transmission
Manual
So I've been reading about doing the turbo swap and I'm totaly sold thanks to "Scotts90Ranger" reading his posts and others as well has convinced me to follow through with finding a 2.3t and swaping mine out for it. the only thing I'm unsure of is the splicing of the harness I've been refrencing http://www.stinger-performance.com/turboswap2.html for the harness modification but still unclear on what is needed to happen 100%. trying to locate the harness diagrahm and no luck and woul like a lil more guidance in terms of the pining of the connector. The mechanical part is easy but the harness I'm afraid of cause I don't wana ruin the truck. It's very nice and would be sad if I f*&ked it up lol gonna upload some pics so you guys can see the truck for input :p

Xploda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 soon to be turbo
Transmission
Manual
3 pics yehaw

Attachments

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
go HERE and look at the diagrams, '87 should be the same as '88... Print out both diagrams and compare numbers, or like someone else said, transfer the numbers and description to an excel spreadsheet side by side and connect the dots... should be less than 10 wires to screw with.

Xploda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 soon to be turbo
Transmission
Manual
Thanks and bookmarked. gonna gather the turbo refrence material and study it. until then I'm gonna do some glassing inside the truck.

Xploda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 soon to be turbo
Transmission
Manual
So I found a 88 tbird 2.3t complete with harness and computer. so should I not be able to just remove my harness and install the tbird in place of mine and just be done?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The issue is the computer and some other components are located in different places than on a Ranger, it's been done but said to be easier to just move the few wires around, once you get your mind wrapped around what is different it really isn't that hard of a job to move things around and swap in the couple new pieces. I have a couple T bird harnesses and the whole car harness is ingrained in the engine harness. If you use the Ranger harness, you can leave it in the truck when you pull the stock engine, add the VAM and boost controller wires through the firewall boot thing then make the splices for the power and ground for them after you get the engine in.

Xploda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 soon to be turbo
Transmission
Manual
that easy huh?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
ok, so it took me a long time to sort though things, and it would be a HELL of a lot easier now than it was when I did it... Up to a year ago I was fighting wires I plugged into the wrong holes and didn't see where they actually went... If you take the time to list out where each of the wires go in the computer side by side and connect the dots you will have success, simple as that, I just looked at what was different not the whole picture and that left me with a fuel pump on signal from the '90 harness that went to the same place as the octane switch on the '86 computer, which explained the amount of knock I got there for a while :)

Other things I learned is if you find different sensor connectors between your stock engine and the turbo engine, swap the friggin component, I wish I had swapped the stock throttle body onto my turbo engine... the '86 throttle position sensor wires have a bit to be desired...

There's a list of things I wish I had done when I did my swap, and I try to share it with others :)

Xploda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 soon to be turbo
Transmission
Manual
guess I'm just concerned about this taking for ever. I know I'm gonna take it to a shop to have the exhaust completely done but that's about it. But I know it will be worth it cause I loved my xploda when I was done with it.

Last edited:

Xploda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 soon to be turbo
Transmission
Manual
If all goes well with this swap, I'm gonna buy a 2wd and do the same. I like the first gen ranger and to have a 2.3t in it just is sick. Also been lookin at all the aftermarket stuff for the 2.3t wow lol ton of it. My 4x4 is just a hunting rig and something I can run to lowes n get house stuff with and maybe fishing when the season is open for salmon. Having a 2.3t will def make this more of fun ride like my 06 lancer with 2.4, it's not turbo but it's def a car that can power up over the passes.

Xploda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 soon to be turbo
Transmission
Manual
You know Scott if you wana help with the wiring maybe I can make ya some full fiberglass door panels? lol

Xploda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 soon to be turbo
Transmission
Manual
My truck is a 87 and the thunderchicken is a 88? so I was hoping the changing of the pins would be minimal. But I could be wrong.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
it should be minimal, but it's the same with any ranger to turbo swap, a couple of sensors are pinned different, it's seriously only about 5 wires that have to move in the ECM, intimidating but not horrible. If you weren't half a state or so away I'd offer to come up and help...

Xploda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 soon to be turbo
Transmission
Manual
lol I'll pay gas haha I'm actually going down to Gold beach soon for a vacation.

Xploda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 soon to be turbo
Transmission
Manual
>< finished painting my dash bezel grrrrrrr so disappointed, needed to sand more. the yahoo who had the truck before started painting the dash trim pieces n totally butchered it, paint runs and lack of prep. Mine turned out better on the dash but still a paint run >< and omg the stereo the guy had installed just had the wires taped together and same thing done for the fog lights on the roof >< stupid kids lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals