• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 merkur xr4ti into 89 ranger

1989rangerob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If it isn't in the Constitution it is my duty not to obey .
I have a line on a merkur turbo motor. What will it take to swap it in to my 89 ranger?

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Never attribute to malice things that are better explained by stupidity.
I just finished a swap like that today. (Started in November) Check my threads under: mini-trucks under construction; "1990 2.3 Turbo Ranger build" and in Forced Induction: "2.3 turbo swap any advice?" Besides the motor, intake and turbo manifold you will need the EEC, and vane air meter from a similar 2.3 turbo car. I used the stock Ranger wiring harness and accessories. A wiring harness from a turbo car will come in real handy to supply all the different plug ends you will need to do the swap. Other than that, all the required info you need is in the tech articles section. Do all the research you can and have a plan before diving in; it will make things go way smoother. Mine came out great with the help of the guys on this forum. Really woke up my old slow poke Ranger.:D

Last edited:

1989rangerob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I just finished a swap like that today. (Started in November) Check my threads under: mini-trucks under construction; "1990 2.3 Turbo Ranger build" and in Forced Induction: "2.3 turbo swap any advice?" Besides the motor, intake and turbo manifold you will need the EEC, and vane air meter from a similar 2.3 turbo car. I used the stock Ranger wiring harness and accessories. A wiring harness from a turbo car will come in real handy to supply all the different plug ends you will need to do the swap. Other than that, all the required info you need is in the tech articles section. Do all the research you can and have a plan before diving in; it will make things go way smoother. Mine came out great with the help of the guys on this forum. Really woke up my old slow poke Ranger.:D
Heck yea man. I have a complete motor that is the same model year as my ranger. The 2.3 that's in there is a turd. Is there a write up somewhere? I've been all over the internet looking for one. I guess I'll go look at your threads

1989rangerob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I guess I should look for a wiring harness then. what about a piggyback system?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
You don't need much for wiring, use the Ranger harness and all you need to change/add is the vane airflow meter, intake temp (if it takes the big VAM, the computers that use that use a temp sensor in the intake), the knock sensor (optional), the boost control solenoid (again, optional), and I think that's it other than moving about 10 wires in the computer.

I don't know of a complete writeup, Turbroke's two threads are the most complete writeup I know of, and it has all the chitchat that you should need to get going, the two of us will be around for questions I think :). Do as much preparation and research before you dig in as possible.

1989rangerob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
You don't need much for wiring, use the Ranger harness and all you need to change/add is the vane airflow meter, intake temp (if it takes the big VAM, the computers that use that use a temp sensor in the intake), the knock sensor (optional), the boost control solenoid (again, optional), and I think that's it other than moving about 10 wires in the computer.

I don't know of a complete writeup, Turbroke's two threads are the most complete writeup I know of, and it has all the chitchat that you should need to get going, the two of us will be around for questions I think :). Do as much preparation and research before you dig in as possible.
I guess I'll go pick up the motor then. There isn't really much else I can do at this point. My truck isn't running. I checked Turbroke's thread. So I guess I should just get to pulling my old one out.

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I guess I'll go pick up the motor then. There isn't really much else I can do at this point. My truck isn't running. I checked Turbroke's thread. So I guess I should just get to pulling my old one out.
And that's how it all begins. Get your motor, pull your old one, research and start hunting down the parts you need. It all comes together all of a sudden. Lots of 2.3 turbo stuff on ebay most of the time. I replaced all the gaskets and seals on my turbo motor as a precaution. Well worth it for the small cost I think. Mine hasn't made a single drop of oil in it's parking spot. :D

Last edited:

1989rangerob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I went and looked at the motor, it was a turd :( I'm going to throw in a normal 2.3 I guess. oh well

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Bummer. What's the issues? Mine was not pretty when I got it, and as long as it's not mechanically damaged or played out, a new set of seals and gaskets will keep it leak free for a long time. Also, most of the parts are interchangeable on 2.3 motors. The only major difference between the blocks is that the turbo motor has the forged pistons you want. You could use the forged pistons, intake and turbo/header and the 4 plug head from the "turd" on your block. Make one good motor out of two clunkers?

Last edited:

1989rangerob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If I had the time, I would totally do that. Unfortunately I need her to run. My gf and I are sharing a vehicle right now. It's too cold to ride the type of motorcycle I have or I would tough it out and build the turd motor,lol. The good news is that I can use the old core and build it once I've removed it and have the truck running again.

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
There you go. If time's a serious issue; that swap, under the best circumstances takes a minute to do right. There's a bit more to it than just swapping motors. Hope you get your truck running nice again soon.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals