• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3t clutch

therieldeal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So how stout is the stock ranger 2.3 clutch? I bought this truck from a friend of a friend, with a nice stack of receipts. Among them is a brand new clutch and slave cyl. My friend says he helped install the clutch this summer... it has maybe 5k on it. Will it survive behind a stock 2.3t for a while or should I upgrade right off the bat?

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
If it's new it might last for at least a little while behind a stock merkur engine. If you're going to be upping the power any, I'd recomend a Centerforce dual friction or one of the Spec clutches.

The stock ranger 9" doesn't really have all that much clamping force.

My centerforce DF has held up to 16-17 PSI from my engine (which is in excess of 300 ft-lbs torque) without slippage. After 10,000 miles of this it still feels new.

therieldeal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its a stock 88 TC engine. no plans to go with a bigger turbo or anything, looking for stock reliability.

Turbo-T

Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I'm running a stock clutch behind an 88 TC engine. I think by limiting my boost to 12psi and not boosting until the clutch is fully engaged I'll get a reasonable life out of it.

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
the original turbo engines used the same LUK clutch that the rangers use, just for a T5 instead of the M5OD. I don't see any reason why it wont hold up fine as long as you don't burn it up with bad launches.

therieldeal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
exactly what i was hoping to hear, thanks!

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
Hi, I was wondering what a luk clutch is? I have 2.3, 5 speed, 4.10 gears, 225\14r wranglers. I was trying to find the heavy-duty clutch with most bang for the buck. I figured there has to be some stock parts that will work better. I have searched several sites and limited recieved responce. I was wondering if there was a bigger clutch that would fit it, from a different engine or something from a turboed engine would work? I am only a parts replacer so Please take it easy on me:icon_confused:

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
I think Luk makes a heavy duty part number for the ranger application. A clutch for a 2.3 turbo car won't work because they had T-5 trannies as opposed to the ranger's M5OD tranny.

Beyond that there is always centerforce ( www.centerforce.com ) and spec ( www.specclutch.com ).

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Never attribute to malice things that are better explained by stupidity.
I know this thread is ancient, but I just wanted to add that I installed a brand new LUK clutch in my 2.3 turbo Ranger, and find that it slips under boost. :annoyed: It does work fine when driving conservatively, but when you want to have a little fun (especially in 1st and 2nd) it will slip. Wish I'd have considered the stock one being insufficient before putting in the LUK, because I would have installed one with a heavier diaphragm spring. Oh well.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, I ran a stock replacement Napa clutch (I think they're Luk) when I first put the turbo engine in, it worked ok for a while but it didn't live long... I have at least twice the hard miles on my Centerforce clutch (yes, it costs 3 times as much...) and it's behaving very well. Of course it doesn't come in a kit so you have to buy their stock replacement friction disc separate from the weighted pressure plate (if you search my user name and centerforce the part numbers should come up pretty easy as I've posted them before). Very well behaved on the street and on the trails, you can feather it a bit if you need to but it grabs hard when you need it to as well.

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
the original turbo engines used the same LUK clutch that the rangers use, just for a T5 instead of the M5OD. I don't see any reason why it wont hold up fine as long as you don't burn it up with bad launches.
Turbo engines used a stronger pressure plate & 9 or 9 1/8 clutch disc, rangers had weaker pressure plates & an 8 7/8 clutch disc...

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
clutch on top is stock ranger, clutch to the right is stock turbo engine, clutch to the left is 4 puck solid hub for high hp

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Never attribute to malice things that are better explained by stupidity.
Yeah, I ran a stock replacement Napa clutch (I think they're Luk) when I first put the turbo engine in, it worked ok for a while but it didn't live long... I have at least twice the hard miles on my Centerforce clutch (yes, it costs 3 times as much...) and it's behaving very well. Of course it doesn't come in a kit so you have to buy their stock replacement friction disc separate from the weighted pressure plate (if you search my user name and centerforce the part numbers should come up pretty easy as I've posted them before). Very well behaved on the street and on the trails, you can feather it a bit if you need to but it grabs hard when you need it to as well.
I saw the Centerfoce when I was searching clutches, and thought at the time it was overkill, but apparently not. I guess I'll just wear this one out first then go with the Centerforce. I hate the idea of dropping the tranny and scrapping a brand new clutch. :/

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals