• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 diesel injection pump type?

racer2868

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 diesel
Transmission
Manual
i am trying to find info on what injection pump i have so i may order a kit. here is what i have found out so far. its a nippondenso (denso) or bosch ve41Will the bosch VE vw kits work? part# bosch part DGK-126 Thanks

jesselee20040

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 about to swap in 2.3 turbo diesel
Transmission
Manual
It is a Bosch ve41, I have the kit number at work and will get it posted tomorrow. I also have a document that shows the tear down and reseal of the pump.

racer2868

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 diesel
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, any info is more than I have.

jesselee20040

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The dgk-126 for rubber and dgk-126r for the viton seal kit. From what i understand the viton seals should be used if any bio-diesel is ran through it. Down here it is all 5% biodiesel. These seal kits are normally good for multiple Bosch injection pumps so it may be the same kit for a vw... The pump is not difficult to reseal if you have patience and are detail oriented, if not send it off to have it done.

I had a dodge d50 4wd with the 2.3td in high school and loved that truck. Now i have a 2wd ranger with the 2.3td that I'm gathering parts to convert to a SAS 4wd.

jesselee20040

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you will pm me your email address I will send you the documents I have gathered. The Mitsubishi mighty max factory service manual has a ton of information.

racer2868

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 diesel
Transmission
Manual

Enemy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Just so happens I pulled my pump and injectors this weekend for a rebuild... oh what fun! :annoyed: My throttle shaft bushings are so wore out I cant get it to idle down any longer. Also leaking some fuel out the distribution block gasket. Injectors have quite a bit of carbon build up as well sooo she's due!
But, I am very lucky to have a diesel shop open up next door that has some serious experience with the VE pumps and builds some crazy ass pulling trucks.. Said he could kit it, and check the injectors, along with some other mods if he can keep the truck after it's done lol!
My pump is virgin and the fuel screw has never been cranked up so bonus on knowing there is more power and mileage to be found in mine. I just know this truck can do much better than 30mpg if the timing is advanced a bit and the fuel system is in good shape. I've heard rumors of 40+ on other forums, that would be damn nice.

Also, I do have a PDF I scanned together from a 1986 Ford dealer tech manual for the 2.3/4D55 if anyone is interested, just send me a PM. All specs including teardown and rebuild, a wealth of info. Its about 9mb. Dont know if this forum will host stuff like that, be more than willing to scan the entire tech manual if requested.

The number on the pump from an 86.

Fun Fun!

racer2868

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 diesel
Transmission
Manual
great info, I have a 86 4x4 and the best I have seen is 30mpg. With a 2wd I think you can get better. Did I see a boost gauge line in your pics. what have you seen on that? Have you been into the turbo for a rebuild, the rebuild does not look to bad on youtube but what do you think about balancing after rebuild? also pm sent

Enemy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Stock boost was between 10 and 12psi. I put in a manual boost valve and turned it up to around 16. This turbo is really good shape, no play in the shaft or beat up fins so I haven't looked into a rebuild. IMO balancing is very helpful for longevity but not any real performance gain. Definitely take note of the compressor nut when you disassemble, if it is ground on any area, most likely the turbine wheel and shaft and the compressor wheel (and nut) were balanced together and should reassemble exactly how it was . If not ground then the wheels were done individually.

racer2868

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 diesel
Transmission
Manual
Enemy thanks for the info, i scaned through them and that's good info. i do have a question, how the heck to remove the valve cover? (hitting the firewall) i did drop the tranny down and still could not remove it. I did not unhook the exhaust or a few other things i was worried about the motor mounts. i need to go down more with the tranny. do i need to drop a motor mount out or something? is this what it takes to get it off? Thanks

Enemy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I haven't got to the valve adjustment on mine yet, need to do that and put in a new VC gasket. I will try to get mine off tonight and see how it goes, looks like I should have plenty of room to the firewall. Didn't dropping your tranny down move it closer to the firewall? From looking at the lip on the front of the valve cover it will be necessary to remove the upper timing belt cover to lift it straight up.

racer2868

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 diesel
Transmission
Manual
when i replaced the timming belt and the idlers i tryed to take the cover off while the timming cover was off cause thats what i thought. it did not work for me. i could not lift it up high enough to clear the valvetrain. i wiggled and turned it every which way with no luck so i thought well drop the tranny down. well that proved no results either, i guess by letting the tranny down it gave a bad angle and i think like you said got closer to the fire wall. a big hammer would solve the problem but i am not into that,,,,,or maybe. let me know what you come up with, you may see a differnt way. of coarse if you drop the tranny take the fan off, i bet you know that though. Thanks (mine is a 4x4 and that may be the problem)

Last edited:

Enemy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Just pulled my valve cover, went straight up, rocked it to the left against the BOV and hoist tab and pulled it forward. My hoist tab is bent out a bit that is just enough to slip by. Could gain a little more if I bent it out more. I now notice the hump in the firewall ya want to beat in with a hammer! It is a squeeze.

Arctic Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
I drove my newest Ford Ranger diesel home in a snow storm this afternoon. This one is a 4x4 and I am impressed. It had been parked for 12 years. It was advertised as needing an engine but it turned out it just needed a harmonic balancer. I was going to take the engine out of my two wheel drive but is good to know I do not need to. The sellers neighbor is a diesel mechanic and put it back together with new belts at a very good price.
It has 130, 000 miles on it and had a lot of work done to it before it was parked.
The only thing I see it needs is for the injection pump to be rebuilt as it leaks in two places.
I am thinking of sending the pump off to be rebuilt and was wondering if anyone has recommendations of a shop that they have used?

Enemy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Congrats on finding the 4x4! I just dug mine out and had to bust through a few drifts to do it....not much fun in a 2 wheel lol...

Just finished getting my pump resealed and back in the truck, I got lucky and had a small local shop handle it. Could probably find someone closer than Nebraska lol. After seeing it apart I think I would have rather done that part then removing it from the truck, about drank myself outta beer on that one! Every seal was brittle and falling apart along with the o-rings. Don't think this old material like this low sulfur diesel garbage much! Also rebuilt the injectors, wow were they wore out, one had the end of the pintle wore completely off and was "peeing" nicely onto the piston lol. Starts and idles awesome now. Gunna play with timing next.
Just put 3/4 turn on the fuel screw tonite for starters, really woke it up! Still isn't rolling coal at full throttle so may see what another 1/2 turn does :icon_thumby:
Thinking my mileage may suffer the first few days playing around lol!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals