• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turbo fun

nesralyrrej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 s/c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Make it fast, Make it loud.
So here I am again, but this time with more fun questions! So I want to turbo my ranger, what do I need other then the obvious? Ie manifold, turbo, inter cooler, oil lines and fittings, a way to reconnect my exhaust, a better clutch/tranny? Do I need a tune? Cheap tuners? Could I use a boost controller? Do I need better injectors and a fuel pump? Do I need to replace my mass air? Or just attach it to the turbo?

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
A lot of questions indeed. Before you ever put a turbo on, you need to do engine work. Forged pistons are a must, and not cheap.

Next: fuel
You will need a better fuel pump, bigger injectors, a tuner, and either a bigger MAF or conversion to a different measuring system, ie MAP or VAM. Hence the need for the tuner. The other option is find a turbo coupe LA3 or similar ecu and do some rewiring.

Next:Trans the stock trans will hold 250 hp. The stock clutch, won't.

Last, turbo and exhaust.
Find a turbo suited for the power you want to make. It is crucial that it flows the right cfm at the right boost levels. Otherwise you will have crappy top end power, or horrible turbo lag. The exhaust is easy, relatively. You can buy a down pipe, or make one. They sell them assembled or just a flange.either way, welding and custom cuts will be likely.

nesralyrrej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 s/c
Transmission
Manual
My credo

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
Lol that kit and intercooler is almost EXACTLY the same as what I bought. The header might cause you problems. The straps that connect the turbo flange to the head flange broke off, which caused the waste gate to fall off. It will work but check the welds after you run it.

You can get a bigger MAF from a newer v8. And for a tuner, I suggest a quarter horse from Moates.net

nesralyrrej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 s/c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I was planning on reinforcing the welds from the get go. Lol how's the turbo hold up? What size injectors you running? What about the fuel pump? Would a maf off of a 2000 f150 5.4 work well? And with the eec iv don't the tuners always stay plugged in? Are they hard to use? I've never personally used one

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I went the easy way and used thunderbird parts... bolt on and set up to work right out of the box... I'm guessing around 200hp with factory parts and dead reliable...

nesralyrrej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 s/c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Stock injectors and everything?

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
With the turbo coupe setup, you use stock turbo coupe injectors. You still have to upgrade your fuel pump. If you do it that way your best bet is to find a diner car and do the swap using as much of the stock stuff as possible from the car.

nesralyrrej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 s/c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I think I'll go aftermarket, go big or go home, so about my other questions..?

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
Injector size is directly related to hp. If you want to make 200hp, you will need about 35#hr injectors. The truck MAF should work just fine, they make over 200hp factory, so it will measure air correctly up to the rated hp of that vehicle. My fuel pump was a $50 pump from eBay. Search mustang 225lph pump. It will work in your ranger I believe. And yes , any tuner for these ecus has to stay in. You use a laptop with the quarter horse to tune it.

nesralyrrej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 s/c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
where did you get your injectors? I cant seem to find any for a ranger. and with those fuel pumps don't you install them in the stock in tank cradles? or are they the frame mounted ones?

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
In tank. Even if you put an inline one, you have to drop the tank ( I prefer to pull the bed off) to take the one out of the tank and put a hose in its place. Injectors are easy to find. They are Bosch style injectors. And you can find them with the square style plug like ours. Or the new round plug, then get new plugs and wire them on.

nesralyrrej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 s/c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
nice nice now im trying to decide what pistons im gonna buy, and what rebuild kit...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals