• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

no more doubler options?!

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
so from what im reading on pirate4x4 d and d is gone and I cant get behemoth to return calls, emails, facebook stuff or anything else. he said he sold the strong box rights to some company but wont say who and no one can find anything...

I really dont want to build a 1350/54 doubler cause the machining and the stub shaft and length. please someone tell me I have another option! or does anyone have a used setup laying around?

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
Other than an atlas that is. And not even an atlas will get me where I want to go due to not being low enough with 5.0:1 and then I don't have as many gear choices.

Kirby N.

Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I did a d and d 1354 doubler on my explorer. After the driveshaft mods, the crossmember mods, the driveline length mods, figuring out shifters, having it welded, dealing with speedometer cables, finding 2 1354 6 sun gear reduction parts, etc. I was really close to atlas cost and far beyond cost of I counted all the time.

Mine held together, but there are some that had strength issues. The gearing options are marginal usefulness. I never used 4 low. Only double low on the rocks and 4 high when in the snow. If I needed to speed up between obstacles it was much easier to grab a high gear in the tranny in double low, than shift up to 4low and then back to double low on the next obstacle.

As far as I am concerned, good riddens for the doubler solutions. I will do an atlas next time and quit spending a dollar to save a penny. Stronger, smaller package and simpler. If you need lower than 5.0 then you probably need lower ring and pinion gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I don't agree with that at all...

I actually use single-4-lo more than I use double-low on my BII (pretty much all the time I'm offroad anywhere BUT rocks, it's in single-low). I could never stand being without single-low. I know this because I have an Atlas II in my Ranger.

If I was to do my doubler again today (using today's prices) it would be somewhere around $750-$800 when everything is all is said & done... (I think the D.D. doubler kit was $549 last I saw?, $75 for a 2nd t-case, $12 or so for a speedo cable, $25 for materials to build a crossmember, shortened/lengthened my own driveshafts (something you'd still have to do with an Atlas too, at least for the front driveshaft anyway), and throwing in another $100 for various other small odds & ends like fluids, bushings, shifter knob & other crap)... I paid $1800 for my Atlas back in 2002... I know they go for a lot more than that today.

Have you actually tried to contact D.D. Machine?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i dont agree with that assessment. as a blanket assessment...

i totally understand that it is factual and your experience with it is likely going to be true for most people.

but not for all.

so...with that, theres a large amount of people that benefit from it. the thing is the market can not be served at the cost outs that people hold the value to. because we are idiots.

conversely...if you have to pay to have a gear swap done....an atlas t case is cost effective when looked at with cost/benefit perspective in its truest form.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

I actually use single-4-lo more than I use double-low on my BII (pretty much all the time I'm offroad anywhere BUT rocks, it's in single-low). I could never stand being without single-low. I know this because I have an Atlas II in my Ranger.

If I was to do my doubler again today (using today's prices) it would be somewhere around $750-$800 when everything is all is said & done... (I think the D.D. doubler kit was $549 last I saw?, $75 for a 2nd t-case, $12 or so for a speedo cable, $25 for materials to build a crossmember, shortened/lengthened my own driveshafts (something you'd still have to do with an Atlas too, at least for the front driveshaft anyway), and throwing in another $100 for various other small odds & ends like fluids, bushings, shifter knob & other crap)... I paid $1800 for my Atlas back in 2002... I know they go for a lot more than that today.

well....clearly you can out type me ya bastage....:thefinger:

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
NW fab has a DIY doubler you can do for a pretty good price

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
I did a d and d 1354 doubler on my explorer. After the driveshaft mods, the crossmember mods, the driveline length mods, figuring out shifters, having it welded, dealing with speedometer cables, finding 2 1354 6 sun gear reduction parts, etc. I was really close to atlas cost and far beyond cost of I counted all the time.

Mine held together, but there are some that had strength issues. The gearing options are marginal usefulness. I never used 4 low. Only double low on the rocks and 4 high when in the snow. If I needed to speed up between obstacles it was much easier to grab a high gear in the tranny in double low, than shift up to 4low and then back to double low on the next obstacle.

As far as I am concerned, good riddens for the doubler solutions. I will do an atlas next time and quit spending a dollar to save a penny. Stronger, smaller package and simpler. If you need lower than 5.0 then you probably need lower ring and pinion gears.

First off I have 5.38 gears. I plan on running a 40 inch tire in the rocks. I live very close to a lot of good snow wheeling as well so I want options. Atlas 2 with all the bells and whistles is about 3k now. Their 4 speed case starts at 3500 then you have to spec it out which comes to over 4k. I have a few 1350 and 54 cases laying around so that won't cost me anything. I'm not worried about shift linkage or anything. That's all relatively simple stuff.

This is what I'm talking about. The atlas is good for some things but not for others.

Nwf only does stuff for 231 and 241 cases. They don't have any ranger stuff. Already talked to him.

I got ahold of Duffy and he said he had some kits but then stopped responding. Does anyone know if behemoth is really getting sold to another company that will be producing more kits? If so,I would totally wait for that but as of now I can't get any response from him...

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
Oh and Kirby n. If you wanna sell your doubler in favor of an atlas let me know.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15

Kirby N.

Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh and Kirby n. If you wanna sell your doubler in favor of an atlas let me know.

I sold the exploder with the doubler. I had it dialed in, but it took some time. I am building a 91 ranger now, using all the experience and knowledge I gained with my explorer sport build. In my ranger this time I put 5.13 gears in it and with 35s, it is low, but for the rocks it needs to be lower. With my doubler experience I will be going with an atlas when the time and money comes.

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
I want to be on bigger tires. Where I will be wheeling it's almost necessary. A few deep river crossings and bigger wider tires for snow wheeling. I wish an atlas would work but an atlas 4 is too rich for my blood.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals