• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coolant getting in transmission fluid, Help..

raggedyann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
1998 ranger 4.0
I was in my driveway and saw a puddle under the truck.
crawled under it and fluid coming out the tranny overflow tube. Milky looking and radiator is low on coolant.
pulled tranny dipstick and overfull, milky watery looking
Hows it getting water in tranny ??

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You need a new radiator. The primary trans cooler is an aluminum tank in the one side tower of the radiator. It is oil to water, to the cooler is immersed in coolant. It gets a hole and BAM, coolant in the trans.

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
Just curious , will this radiator failure require a transmission flush and new filter?

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes! I would Not start THE ENGINE until done!
Big Jim

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The snot produced when the coolant mixes with the transmission oil will gum up the transmission badly. It's also quite poor as a lubricant. Avoid running it, and make sure you clean out the transmission after you replace the radiator.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Frankly, if you already have strawberry milkshake in the trans I would not hold out high hopes for it's survival.

Transmission clutches are glued to their plates with, well with glue. There are two main types of glues. There are water based glues, and oil based glues. Water based glues stand up to oil very well, but dissolve quickly when exposed to water. Oil based glues stand up to water but dissolve quickly in oils, mineral spirits, and the like.

So given that information, guess what happens to an automatic trans when coolant gets in it.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Also the return line from the radiator to the transmission goes straight to the main bushings in the transmission. Water/glycol is a terrible lubricant. You can try flushing the tranny and you need to also drain the torque converter. There is a drain plug on the flex plate side of the converter just remove the dust plate and turn the motor over at the crank until you see the plug in the hole on the flex plate.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I don't think his trans has a drain on the converter. The 4.0 doesn't have a dust plate, it has a full-length oil pan. The bottom two bell bolts actually go into the oil pan, not the block.

raggedyann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks all, I dropped the pan and filter last night and let it drain. I haven't chked to see if the torque has a drain, will do that now. also got radiator out.
This sucks big time as I just changed trannys last winter.
I bet theres nothing I can run through it as a flush ?? mineral spirits too harsh ?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I think I would change out the torque converter and flush the tranny with transmission fluid.

then drive it for a few hundred miles and change the transmission fluid again.

Hopefully that will get all of the coolant out. I don't think you can get all of the fluid out of the TC, even with a drain plug.

AJ

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you want o try "flushing" at home I would go get about 24 qts of trans fluid, take the inbound line at the cooler and stick it in a drain pain. Start the engine and let it pump as much fluid as you can out, put that much fresh back in it, maybe a few qts more, let the pump run it all out again, repeat that a few times, and then fill it up.

The only reliable way to get all the coolant out of the converter is going to be a replacement, but even with all that, I still wouldn't hold out high hopes for this tranny.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
It took 22 qts of fluid to flush the trans on my 08 and that was just maintenance (nothing wrong, just time to do it) using one of those fancy machines.

Me, I'd replace the radiator; but, not run the engine after (add as much coolant as you can). If you run the engine you are going to continue to circulate the water that is in the trans because the pumps will, well pump.

Then I would have it taken to a known, honest, shop and have them flush the trans. The only problem I see is I don't know how you are going to get enough coolant into the new rad without running the engine so that it won't over heat while they are flushing it. And, of course, getting it all out of the converter and that of course eventually put it back into the trans.

I suppose this isn't the first time this has happened to someone and they should know how to do it.

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
A small amount of water will eventually vent out, tranny fluid is expensive but a rebuild is alot more so! Maybe put the fluid in a clean bucket and let the water settle out of it just not sure if the glycol will separate as well?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Uggghhh.... reading this makes me want to get on installing my trans cooler and bypassing the radiator all together. I'd hate to trash a brand new 4R70W.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A small amount of water will eventually vent out, tranny fluid is expensive but a rebuild is alot more so! Maybe put the fluid in a clean bucket and let the water settle out of it just not sure if the glycol will separate as well?
Not really, glycol + oil = plasticky snot, it only takes a little bit to cause it and the snot is really bad for bearings and filters and other small passages. If it were plain water it wouldn't be so bad, but the coolant make a giant mess.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals