• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 347/c4 build -project- rebel rouser

prymetime1

Reaction score
I finally got to driving the lil ranger around today and i gotta say, it drives pretty good. The guy i got it from owed it for 4 years n took pretty good care of it. Minus a lil shake at 55-70 mph it was a good maiden voyage. It'll get inspected as is so I can get two years out of with the swap complete. It'll be almost Classic at that time so I'll cross that bridge then.
Hoping to get my insurance card to go get it inspected this weekend and from there it'll be torn down for clean up n fitting. The engine n trans will be ready to go in this weekend once I get the parts in from summit tomorrow. Gotta do a trans fluid change and get the torque converter mounted along with the flexplate. Also need to finish bolting up the power steering pump and engine mounts.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
I used the mechs. from the 69 on my 84, but I got a Duff Radiator (tucks up in the supports). I did have to use a short snout water pump and then I only have a couple of inches between the fan and rad. Its tight. You could always opt for a electric fan and loose the width of the mechanical fan, lots of people go this route. If you use a mechanical fan make sure you build some kind of shroud. Mine is something I cut down and made fit from a 150 (I think). I can snap a pic of it if you need it.

prymetime1

Reaction score
Thanks for the input on the mechs. I'm trying to keep it as basic as possible and have opted for an electric fan. Actually came with the 3 core rad I'm guna try and stuff in there. I'm not sure what size water pump is on it now but if I have to swap it out when I go to test fit I will.

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
Just saw your thread brotha . Looking good and should be a beast when done . Makes my swap look Weak in comparison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
the headliner reminds me of my ol 70 cuda and 73 challenger headliners....

i would have to think this thing is gonna put smiles on your face every time you turn the tires to plumes of smoke...

prymetime1

Reaction score
Hey fellas, thanks for following along here. Hopefully have some updates this weekend. Weather is supposed to be good and I'm hoping to get alot done.
Atx, your build is sweet to man. It's good motivation for me n this thing.
Bw, thanks bud, u guys are getting me stoked as all hell to get it done to see what it will do.

The headliner I think is cool. I really like the different stuff out there...this truck is going to have a darker theme and I'm playing with some ideas now.
On another note, I am hopefully scoring a set 97 cobra rims and an exporer rear end this weekend. Got parts delivered at the rents so I'm excited to get to it.
Hopefully have some cool ish to show for tomorrow.

prymetime1

Reaction score
Quick update:
Today was sweet out and I was able to get the truck thru inspection. It failed the first time for gas cap so I ran down to AZ and picked up a new one, ran back and got my new sticker [emoji3]

I went thru the parts order and alls good there, gotta love a 2 day delivery from summit:

TCI stuff seems pretty stout and looks good. Same for the B&M.

From there we made room to have the truck parked for probably 2 weeks. My dad's got to many cars in the driveway and this is always a pain in the ass. It's pretty flat n closer to the garage without gettin to much in my rents way.

Started tear down:

I'll have the rest out tomorrow and power washed. I gotta pick up some rattle cans of black to clean up the frame and suspension n whatever else needs it.

Also picked up engine mount bolts from local speed shop since I was missing those. ARP. No pic.

Also scored these:

Picking up tuesday. 17x9. From a 97 cobra, look to be in great shape.

So that's it for today. Going out to celebrate anniversary with the gf.
Till tomorrow.

prymetime1

Reaction score
Made some progress today.
Got the engine and trans out. 1st time building n tearing down to this point so I took my time and just tried my best to not mess anything up too bad. Only ended up breaking the dizzy cap on the way out:

From there I broke it down n took the trans off. My dad is going to put that in his for the time being. His is pretty shitty.

While under the truck I noticed the gas tank was being held up by a ratchet strap, guess one of the straps or something broke and that was the fix. I'm thinking of just doing a fuel cell in the bed. Would make for more room for the exhaust as well. This is the piece I'm looking at from summit.

I'm guna measure the area under the tool box in the bed and see if this will fit in the space. If not, out it comes.

Started to clean the bay.

Taking tomorrow off to celebrate Columbus day and make some more progress. I have to get some heavy duty cleaner n paint as I didn't get time for that today and will hopefully be able to get the mounts in. I also need to cut some of the radiator area out and repair that due to some rot. All good tho, going to see how much room and what needs to be modded to fit the big 3 core summit rad & e-fan nice n tucked. I'm figuring something like what ATX had to do to his lower support. U can see how mines pretty much gone in the middle

So stay tuned, hopefully only a couple weeks out from being completed...mind u I'm only really getting weekends to work on it.

Any advice or input is always welcomed.

Thanks for following.

prymetime1

Reaction score
Alright so today I got a good start on working on the truck.
After yesterday's progress I came home and made a hefty to do list for today and I guess it may have been alil too ambitious cuz I didn't get done nearly as much as I wrote down.

I started off by hacking the rest of the stock exhaust,easy task with the Sawzall at hand.

I moved on the to the drive shaft, which yesterday beat me and left me with a striped bolt head to drill out (the ones holding the middle carrier bearing for the 2 pc drive shaft). So I set out to drill it out only to find my bits suck and wasn't getting to far. My pops lent me a hand here and broke out his tools....ended up getting it out after an hour of with fighting it.

OK so I moved on to the stock motor mounts and got the driver side one off in 2 mins. The passenger side took a bit longer since I had to remove the I beam to make room to get to the nut..then I click at a time backed it off.

Those two simple task ended up eating a good portion of my morning work. Once I got that out of the way I was on to degreasing and power washing the bay. Got that done and scrubed/power washed the under side of the hood. See a while back the ac had caught fire on the previous owner and marked the under side good. It cleaned up decently.

I am going to checker board the underside :) got it primed today so maybe next weekend on that.

After the bay dried out I hit it with the air and got most of the lose debris n flaking rust/paint out of the way. I them hit it with good ol rustolium to have a good clean base to work with.

Also, I mentioned yesterday about a possible fuel cell. The one I posted is 20 gals. And is 10×20×? ( I forget ) but I measured under the tool box and the cell should clear with a half inch between. I'm thinking of going this route and further simplify the whole system. thinking of a filler inside the toolbox. And thinking of relocating the battery in there too, hide it and still be accessible. Also the e fuel pump would be wired and mounted in the tool box for clean safe keeping. Looking at the Holy red labeled fuel pump if anyone has any experience with em.

Here so pics from today. No to much to show.

Probably won't be working on it till next weekend so if possible I'll try n tackle the headliner at my place n have it ready.
Next steps are: to get my mounts mounted-frame and engine, change trans fluid and fill torque converter. Install converter, Remove flywheel and install flexplate.
Test fit.

I guess thats it till then folks.

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
Looking good brotha . Like the progress , fuel cell idea .Figure out anything on the supports ? All I can say about the mounts is every motor sets different I guess and your going to have to play around with mounts a lil or a lot in my case lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prymetime1

Reaction score
Hey broskie thanks, I'm feeling good about the progress...one weekend at a time. Next weekend I hope to get alot done. As far as the rad support goes, I'm going to cut the bottom out and probably brace it with flat stock. I really need to see where the rad is going to sit, I may have to resort to a 4.0 if I can make what I have work.
The fuel cell idea is really working me over right now as the current tank needs some help. Budget wise, I'm going to see if I can make the stock stuff work since it'll be much cheaper to fix the braces from what I found looking at LMC truck...like $100 vs $300...
If I have to go that route, I will.
Thanks for following along mang, I'm looking fwd to seeing how yours comes out and how much u dig it....and possibly borrowing some ideas.

prymetime1

Reaction score
Oh, and the motor mounts, I'm hoping the set i got work well and give me the play to get it set right n level.

84FreakRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Oh, and the motor mounts, I'm hoping the set i got work well and give me the play to get it set right n level.
I have a brand new motor mount kit from Trans Dapt that I didn't used because my truck was a pre-92 model. should bolt in your truck without drilling holes. It comes with the hardware kit, plates and mounts
if you are interested
7704123818 Jim

prymetime1

Reaction score
Hey bud, thanks that's the kit I picked up from jegs, along with the filter relocation n headers....hoping it all works well together.

prymetime1

Reaction score
Well, as if I didn't have enough on my plate with the ranger, I've been helping a friend build a cafe racer. No real update here, just some fill. ;)

Should be a fun lil bike once complete.

Back to the truck.

I am still reading up on the fuel system but am leaning towards pulling the trigger on parts. Building a fuel system got way more technical than I expected...and costly. I've got some ideas but am waiting on how things go this weekend.
Any suggestions on what u guys have used n worked?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals