• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 91 Ranger the stRanger

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How are you liking the location of your spare? Glad to see you out wheeling this.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
It works good back there. I can lift the spare up by myself and it keeps weight back over the rear end

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual

Went out into the desert shooting last weekend

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual
She's looking good! How has the 351 been running?

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
She's looking good! How has the 351 been running?

Thanks! Truck has been running good. I've been tossing around ideas of a different transmission and t case setup. I'm not super satisfied with the c4

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
What makes you not happy with the c4?

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
What makes you not happy with the c4?
No overdrive, and having to monitor temperatures. I like the simplicity I enjoyed with the stick. If all this saw was a trailer and dirt, it would be fine, but since I like to drive it places it sucks having no overdrive. 60 mph is roughly 2600 rpm and 70 is 3000 rpm. Not ideal. With the OD of a ZF5 speed 70 mph will be 2300 rpm.

Last edited:

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I kinda figured you would say that. Im using one in mine as well and because of no OD is why I kept the stock 3.50 gears in my axles with 37" tires and went with the doubler. I hope it works out like I think it will.

Adding a temp gauge is next priority along with a deep aluminum pan. My cooler is huge so I hope to have no problems.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I kinda figured you would say that. Im using one in mine as well and because of no OD is why I kept the stock 3.50 gears in my axles with 37" tires and went with the doubler. I hope it works out like I think it will.

Adding a temp gauge is next priority along with a deep aluminum pan. My cooler is huge so I hope to have no problems.
I have a deep pan and pretty decent sized cooler and occasionally it still gets hotter than I like. Really only on warmer days and going up some of the long grades we have here on our roads. I have 4.56 gears and 37s

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Well it's been a long time since I've updated, nothing has changed on the truck, but I'm preparing for the next step I have planned.

bahndrvr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome - love that update - will return driveability - I look at this post sometimes for nostalga.

I did so many builds while I was active duty and my last post in this build was around 2012/13 and I was still in the Reserves.

The nostalga part is the carpet pics and the dorm furnature i nthe first 10 pages or so, and read today something that made me laugh. At one point your communicating with one of your buddies in the PNW - and you said in 3 years this truck will be back where it belongs. That was in 2010;-)

I did the same thing that's why it's funny, I said 4 and out - I did over 16 and only got out after 5 deployments, a broken marriage - and another deployment coming down. I also didn't move back home after that time as well.

It's looking great man - makes me want to get a Ranger again and I haven't owned one since 2010.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Awesome - love that update - will return driveability - I look at this post sometimes for nostalga.

I did so many builds while I was active duty and my last post in this build was around 2012/13 and I was still in the Reserves.

The nostalga part is the carpet pics and the dorm furnature i nthe first 10 pages or so, and read today something that made me laugh. At one point your communicating with one of your buddies in the PNW - and you said in 3 years this truck will be back where it belongs. That was in 2010;-)

I did the same thing that's why it's funny, I said 4 and out - I did over 16 and only got out after 5 deployments, a broken marriage - and another deployment coming down. I also didn't move back home after that time as well.

It's looking great man - makes me want to get a Ranger again and I haven't owned one since 2010.

Haha thanks man! Sometimes I go back through and read my thread and smile about those things too. I never thought I'd be 7 years year in and looking to do another 4. And this truck probably never will see the PNW again I don't think I'll move back home either. Thanks for the comment man, and thanks for your service!

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I want to see the interior upgrades. :thefinger:

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
I want to see the interior upgrades. :thefinger:

Haha sorry dude I've been a major slacker. I did just buy a sheet metal brake for these interior upgrades you speak of, hopefully an update tonight

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Ok time for an overdue update. So the current plan is to swap in a ZF5 speed that is on it's way as we speak. Going back to manual will give me back over drive and that third pedal Ive been missing.

For transfer case and doubler, I found a Behemoth shorty doubler like the one I have on the C4, except this one has 1356 guts, 31 spline input and the correct pattern for the ZF5. So all I will have to do I swap the trannys and then swap the new doubler onto the dana 300 and save me a bunch of money from going to an entirely different setup.

Also I picked up a console from RockRanger a couple months ago and just finally go the motivation and warm weather to put it together. Its very nice and great quality! I painted it with rustoleum metal iron paint. It will get installed when I get the ZF5 put in.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals