• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 ranger ABS light

cbarnes0061

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
OK so I have a 96 ranger with the 2.3 and is 2WD. I occasionally while driving will have first my park brake light come on then it goes off and the ABS light comes on and stays on. Always happens when the truck is braking. Cut the truck off and fire it back up and the light goes away. I had this happening for a while when I found my right front wheel bearing had gone bad. Replaced both front rotor assemblies. This caused the light to go away for about 3 months and now it is starting to happen again. Already jacked the front of the truck up and checked for play in the wheel bearings thinking maybe I did them wrong but no dice everything seems nice and tight like it should be. I have read there is a connection under the truck on the drivers side that sometimes gets corrosion in it and I will check that when I get home from work today. Just wondering if there is anything else I can look for while troubleshooting this.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Have you pulled off rear brake drums yet?

If not have a look at the rear shoes

Also there should be a brake fluid level sensor on the master, check its connector for corrosion.
And, of course, fluid level :)

Parking brake light, rear brake lights and ABS light are connected in the ABS system monitor.
If brake light fuse blows ABS light will come on intermittently, and yes turning key off and then on resets ABS monitor

cbarnes0061

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Have you pulled off rear brake drums yet?

If not have a look at the rear shoes

Also there should be a brake fluid level sensor on the master, check its connector for corrosion.
And, of course, fluid level :)

Parking brake light, rear brake lights and ABS light are connected in the ABS system monitor.
If brake light fuse blows ABS light will come on intermittently, and yes turning key off and then on resets ABS monitor
Sorry guess I should have clarified that when doing the work to the front I also had the rear drums turned down and installed new brake shoes, as well as new timing belt, spark plugs, water pump, valve cover gasket, all gaskets on intake manifold, as well as new tires. I realize most of that has nothing to do with the braking system but figured I would include it all.

I checked all the lights when I got home last night and where all working fine but was unable to check connections or fluid level as it was dark when I left yesterday but will check it out today. Thanks for the input.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals