• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

92 Ranger cranks, no spark. 3.0L Auto tran

Jims Handy Work

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You have a very good description of operation. If I move the pickup for the timing light around the cap clockwise on the distributor I can get the spark on the third post past number one to illuminate the timing marks not far off the pointer. So It appears to be 180 degrees out to me and I was mistaken on the guesstimate of 100 degrees out. I will try to find a picture of the cap and numbers for the cylinders. I'd say the rotor is off since I had the distributor out.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Diagram here for 3.0l distributor, about 1/2 way down: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/3_0performance.shtml

You can just move the wires on the cap to test if #1 is off with rotor position.

firing order is 1-4-2-5-3-6
If distributor was 180deg off rotor would be pointed at #5 at the end of #1s compression stroke.
#1 and #5 pistons are both at TDC when the TDC mark on crank lines up with 0deg, one is at end of compression stroke the other at the end of exhaust stroke, Cam position is what decides which is which.

But none of that matters to the distributor or cap, the rotor does have a tab that locks it in place but the distributor has no #1 position, neither does that cap outside of courtesy markings, which you can use or disregard.

The only things you need to pay attention to are the firing order and direction of rotation as it applies to firing order :)

In the diagram it shows #1 at the 7:00 position on the cap, but if distributor was put in so rotor is pointed at the 11:00 position for #1 compression stroke, then you can just start the firing order there, so put #1 wire where #2 is shown, then follow the firing order around the cap, 4-2-5-3-6, so 3 wire would be where #1 was.
That's the only part that matters, #1 compression stoke ends at TDC mark, rotor pointed at #1 spark plug wire, where it is on the cap doesn't matter, as long as rotor points at it, and then firing order for the rest of the wires.

Last edited:

Jims Handy Work

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I got it. Original owner had the wires on the cap one post off so when I set the mechanical timing it was not correct. Awesome :) You have an amazing interactive knowledge of how engines work and can put it to words. I can understand how they work but not put it to words like you can. Thank you very much for all the information.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work :icon_thumby:

And thanks for the compliment :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals