• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wont start. 2.9L

MoonKnight13

Reaction score
Changed the starter solenoid and now it.wont start. Anyone have any wiring diagrams?

MoonKnight13

Reaction score
Well it turns over when bypassed. S its either the solenoid or the switch wiring.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The large post close to the battery gets all the wires except for the one to the starter. The other large post gets the wire to the starter.

The little post gets the little red and blue wire with the push-over elbow.

Also, check the surface behind the starter relay (the solenoid is the little cylinder (not visible on the 2.9 starter) on the starter, it's what kicks the drive out, the piece you are working on is a relay). It grounds through it's contact to the fender on the flat back side, and won't work if it doesn't have a good ground there.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes ^^^

Battery + goes to large post on Starter Relay, all the other smaller wires attach to that same post, that's the power distribution for the vehicle.
The other larger post is for the large cable that goes to the starter motor, it will be the only cable on that post.

Small post on Relay is labelled "S" that connects to the Key switch, when that post gets 12volts Relay will close and starter motor will activate

MoonKnight13

Reaction score
Everything checks out. Wirng is correct but wont start unless bypassed.
Has to be the ignition switch or neutral safety switch.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Reads that way.
If you have a test light put it on the "S" wire(disconnected from Relay), and then a ground.
Try turning the key to START, test light shouldn't light up if there is a problem with ignition switch(under steering column) or NSS(or clutch switch).
If it does light up then relay is the problem.
New no longer means "it works", New now means "never been tested", so grain of salt when assuming a new part must work.

If test light doesn't light up check fuses first.

What year truck is this?

Hunter71601

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have almost the same exact problem

Yesterday I was working on my 88' 2.9 sprcab 4x4, we got the fuel pump to finally work properly, (still no spark) . However the next problem I'm taking on is the remote start "S" wire is on getting 7.85 volts, if that terminal gets full voltage then the starter solenoid closes, and truck cranks, neutral switch was taken off and tested "GOOD" . So I'm going with ignition switch, which may explain the spark issue. Good luck with yours, i will be back on it tomorrow, and update,

Hunter71601

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok update. The distributor was 180 degrees off. This is after the coil had to be replaced. Truck would start and run with artifical fuel. So tested then replaced hp fuel pump and truck now starts and runs off of its own fuel. With sayin that it drives,hell even 4x4 works. However engine could run alot smoother, its not backfiring at all i just kinda sounds like not running all cylinders, hasn t stalled out but has gotten down to about 400-500 rpms. I have a couple of ideas. Perhaps fine tune the timing, check the injectors , and etc. Opinons welcome.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals