• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2008 Ranger 3.0L, 2WD, cannot get power steering rack out

mctavish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hi everyone. I am in the middle of replacing my power steering rack in my 2008 Ranger, 3L, 2WD. I took out the sway bar for more room, removed the tie rod ends, but cannot slide the rack out. I can rotate it and slide it only part way it but it almost looks impossible without removing an inner tie rod, My manuals say just slide it out but I really dont want to mess with the inner tie rods on the new rack. The drivers side shaft that connects to the steering column pinch bolt seems to be the problem in getting any room. Any suggestions or tips? Thank you for your time.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Many times you have to twist, turn, and tilt the rack to get the input shaft past various obstructions.

I have no first-hand experience taking the rack out of a Ranger though. Lots of other cars, just not a Ranger.

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The rack has to be tilted forward and wiggled toward the passenger side. They suck, and don't seem like they will ever come out, but they will. I have also found that removing the mounting bushings and sleeves first will give you a little extra wiggle room when you're trying to slide it trough the hole in the frame.

kid_crash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I feel for us. I've wrestled with that job. After many tries it got in this magical position and pretty much fell out. I can't tell you how but it will come out.

mctavish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks everyone. I finally got it out. I think the problem was having the control arm hang down too much on the passenger side . I had jack stands on the crossmember so I used my jack to lift the lower control arm a bit. I guess 1/4 " made the difference.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals